19 | deja vu

The dungeon was damp and cold

The dungeon was damp and cold. A far cry from the usual warm and soft bed the ten-year-old girl was accustomed to. The chains were so heavy and they stopped her from standing too much. It dug into her smooth skin and she shuffled in discomfort. 

A dark blond-haired woman's heart clenched as she looked down at her exhausted and pain-filled ten-year-old daughter. She blinked up at her mother with her big doe green eyes, completely trusting her mother.

"Mom!" The relief was evident in her tone. They'd been separated for a few days. Her word brought more tears to the woman's already tear-stained cheeks.

Her daughter stood and ran to fling herself into the arms of safety in her mother's, but she abruptly halted by the chains on her hands that were connected to a cell wall. The ten years old girl let out a cry of frustration.

"Mom..." she silently begged for her mother to come towards and take her in her arms. To tell her that they would get out here, that everything would be okay, and that she loves her so much. Her eyebrows creased in confusion as her mother continued to stand there and cried silently.

"Are you okay?" The girl asked with the utmost concern for her mother.

"Yes, darling." Her mother forced a smile, trying to not choke on a sob. "Everything's fine."

The girl frowned. Everything was not fine. They were kidnapped by the men in suits and brought here by a white van. She had been blindfolded the entire time until she'd arrived here a few days ago

"Do it."

The girl flinched at the voice that came out of nowhere. She turned his head to look and her whole body shivered out of fear. A man with sharp dark blue eyes in a black suit stood outside the cell.

The mother's fingers tightened on the gun handle behind her back.

Slowly, her arm shifted from behind to her front. The ten-year-old seeing the gun in her mother's hand, her eyebrows creased. Why would she have a gun? Shouldn't she shoot at the bad guys?

The mother's entire arm was shaking as she lifted the gun in a slow motion until it stopped.

"W-what are you d-doing?" The little girl asked and trembled as the gun was pointed at her temple.

"I'm sorry, sweetheart." She choked on her own words. This was the only way she would survive. It was her or the girl. The mother did love her daughter once but ultimately her selfish desire for herself overwhelmed all of her senses. Her love wasn't enough to stop her from living or saving her daughter. "The monsters made me do it."

"Mom?" The girl's voice cracked as the terror gnawed on the entire fiber of her being.

The mother pulled the trigger on a ten-year-old Ariana.