18 | awkward question

The monsters are here

It was the only thing I could think of as I rode in the wheelchair back to the room. I've seen one of them, what if there's more?

"Who are they?" I asked Elijah hoarsely. He walked beside me, guiding me the way back. He looked at me and sighed.

"They're our cousins and uncles." He told me. "I'm sorry that they stormed in. I swear they were uninvited."

I didn't hear any of them except the fact they were my cousins and uncles. I let go of the console suddenly and the wheelchair halted.

"Oh." I bit down on my inside cheek hard until I drew blood, tasting the metal wetness. My blood had turned on me and played the part of breaking me.

That shattered my heart for some reason.

There was nothing I didn't go through. I've lost those I've loved, innocence ripped away from me, chained, forced to be in darkness, kept away from the reality, tortured and so much more. There's nothing I was native to.

Or so I thought.

Another one of the endless lessons that life had thrown at me: you cannot trust anyone, even those who shared my blood.

"Are you all right?" He asked in concern, his palm going down on my back gently. I didn't reply and he didn't push which I was grateful for.

I returned my way to the room and Elijah went straight to the nightstand to turn on the lamp when we entered. When we paused before my bed, Elijah picked me up - his arms were tucked underneath my legs and the other around my upper back - and laid me down on the bed. He covered my body with the sheets and comforter. The bed dipped when he sank on it. He had a hand on my knee, above the blanket.

"If you need anything, I'm in the next room, okay? Just shout my name and I'll come." He said.

I tilted my head slightly with furrowed eyebrows. "Next room?"

"Yes. I'm sleeping there tonight." He gave me a smile that didn't meet his eyes. "You sure you're alright?"

"Yes."

He nodded once and gazed at me with hopeful eyes. "I'm here if you ever want to talk, okay?"

"Okay," I whispered as my heart swelled at his concern. Even though I knew I'd probably never talk to him. Willing, at least.

His face fell a little but quickly covered it up with a bright smile. He clapped his hands. "All righty, then! You should sleep."

I nodded.

He was still there as I awkwardly waited for him to leave. His eyes were unseeing as if he was deep into his thoughts. When I couldn't take the awkward situation anymore, I reached out slowly to lay it on his hand which was returned to my knee.