31 | living in a fairytale

In the car, I sat in the back seat with Apollo, while Alex drove with Noah in the passenger seat

In the car, I sat in the back seat with Apollo, while Alex drove with Noah in the passenger seat. I had Pumpkin on my lap. Noah had his grey ugly-faced cat, Grumpy in a cage on his lap. That cat hated me, but again he hated every human except for Noah. On Apollo's lap was Cupid, a white-furred cat with bright blue eyes was a former stray who just one day decided to sneak into the mansion and stayed there ever since. She was friendly but a bit stupid, even though cats were supposed to be smarter than dogs. 

Noah said if Grumpy was let out of his cage outside, he'll probably jump out the rolled-down windows.

Like me and my cliffs—

"So why did you name her Pumpkin?" Noah asked me from the front. In the past five minutes, we've been asking each other questions about cats. We shared similar soft spots for cats, especially ours. I've watched out the window, enjoying the scenery of the passing trees, for twenty minutes before my brothers couldn't refrain from staying silent for once.

"She was born on Halloween day and she's orange, so I thought it was fitting." I shrugged even though he couldn't see me. "I suppose it's not necessary to ask why that ugly cat of yours  is named Grumpy." I chuckled.

"Hey!" Noah called out. "He's not ugly!"

"Then why Grumpy?"

"Because he looks grumpy all of the time with that scrunched-up nose and the dead-set glare that he was born with." Apollo chimed in. "Like Noah's personality."

In the rearview mirror, I saw Noah's mouth open and closed as he struggled to find a good retort. It repeated three times before he settled on grumbling, "fine, it's true. I'm grumpy, are you happy?"

"Father got him for you because his personality aligns with yours, do you know that?" Apollo kept taunting.

"Oh please-wait, what, are you serious? Did Father tell you that?!"

"Yep." Apollo grinned.

"Do you mean the priest or the father who made us?" I chimed in casually, making them freeze for a moment. I watched Alex's mouth tremble slightly in the rearview mirror before it disappeared behind his blank facade.

"Um, Noah...?"

"We're talking about the dead one," Noah said with a tight smile. "The one who made us."

Apollo nodded frantically beside me.

"So..." Noah shifted the topic back to cats. Meanwhile their chatter, I meet Alex's gaze through the mirror and he discreetly winked at me.

It felt like we were sharing a secret joke.

P E R D I T A

Five minutes later, we stopped in the middle of a forest which confused all of us greatly before I realized we were going to walk for a bit to get to whatever this place is.