20 | remembering

I stared out through the glass at the blurring pine trees and private street as the car drove on

I stared out through the glass at the blurring pine trees and private street as the car drove on. We had left the mansion an hour and a half ago. I've been informed that while it was being fixed, we all were going to another backup house for three weeks and a half. It could be less or more, depending on how long it takes. 

When I first woke up, I was lying in a van seat and Salvo was there to calm me down before I freaked. I was yet accustomed to being outside, especially with the day bright with the sun. It was too bright for my unused eyes and I barely could open my eyes. They'd covered me with a blanket to block out the light and someone carried me to this black jeep. The windows were tinted black with a push of a button. Elijah had stayed inside with me to keep me company until they were ready to go. Ace, Alex, and Noah rode in another car, whilst Ares, Apollo, Salvo, and Elijah rode with me. 

Pumpkin nudged my hand with her muzzle when I stopped petting her and I whispered a 'sorry' before stroking through her soft fur again.

"Thank you, Elijah," I whispered to him who was sitting next to me in the back seat. "For saving and bringing her to me." I nodded at my cat.

He beamed at me. "Of course, Ariana. I'll do anything for you, hon. The cat growing on me so that's a plus side." He gave me a wink and I gave him a small lift of my mouth in return but it felt forced.

After a few minutes of comfortable silence, Elijah broke it.

"Listen, I want to talk to you about something important." He spoke gently. This cannot be good. "It's nothing, just a small change at the safe house - okay?"

I nodded hesitantly.

"Do you remember our uncles and cousins that barged in a few days in that cinema room?" He asked. I stiffened. I gave him another nod.

"They're coming with us-" My eyes widened and the terror in them was unmistakable.

"Sh," Elijah cooed, putting a hand over mine and I flinched back. As soon I did, my eyes widened even further - internally screaming. I never flinch that violently for a long time. I've honed my body reaction to stop doing its defense mechanism, to make it limp instead because that way was when they lessened the pain they inflicted on me. By not giving them any reaction, their enthusiasm to break me faded away a bit because I was already broken.

Now that I've tasted the freedom once again, my body and mind must had became lenient. If I ever return to that state ever again, I would never recover again. I'd be truly shattered.

A hurt washed over his features for a half-second before they returned to their gentle expression. "Listen to me." His tone was firm but kind and gentle. "You won't see them unless you wish so, I promise. They're nice. Your family, as we are."