14 | falling apart

I failed Ariana

I failed Ariana. Again. 

This time, my baby sister almost died under my watch. I could stop thinking about her lying on the floor alone for hours exposed to the cold with her head cracked.

How exactly had it come to go into this grave situation, I wasn't sure. I was told Ariana couldn't walk by herself but it seemed I had easily underestimated her. I shouldn't have expected less than a girl with Romano blood running in her veins. We were unyielding and didn't like to depend on anyone else. We take matters our way and it was apparent that my sorellina is no different.

I had my suspicions about why the window had been opened and how she had ended up in that position. I was reluctant to accept it and tried to convince myself it was a mistake but the facts said otherwise.

I knew if we forbid her to walk and ordered her to stay on the bed, it'd make her mental health worse. Or take the matter into her hands privately and end up in this same situation again. This is why I've gotten her a physical therapist to improve her walking. I'd also gotten a psychiatrist to talk to her in a few days.

Which I should've had done so from the beginning.

I've been too arrogant to think I can handle it when I can't even bring myself to look at her dull eyes and see the consequences of my broken promise. And that almost cost my sister's life. It pained me to admit it but the truth hurt.

One hour.

Elijah had said if Noah haven't happened to pass the hallway and decided to check-in, she would've died.

Under my damned watch.

And that maid, Savannah. I gave a clear order that Ariana is to be checked in every hour when we're were unavailable. She failed and she would pay dearly for it.

As if on cue, a knock on the door sounded and I called for her to come in. Savannah entered the room with her hands clasped together in her front. I stood from my chair behind the desk in my office.

"Sir, you called for me?" She bowed out of respect.

"Would you like to tell me how come this morning my brother," I pointed to Noah, who was standing next to Alex and Salvo on the other side of the room. "came in to find my baby sister lying on the floor with the windows open during the middle of a storm, her head bleeding and completely soaked?"

The maid's eyes widened, almost bulging out. "W-what?" She stuttered.

"I gave you a clear order. To check her each hour when we're all asleep!" I slammed my fists on the table and the maid flinched hard.

"You had a job. One." Salvo snarled, his fists clenching at his sides. "You failed and our sister ended up almost dying."

My mouth curled into a cruel smirk. "And for that, there will be severe consequences."