Vol 2 Ch 15 (Lee): Overdue Explanation

The sound of a heart monitor...It was faint, but brought back so many memories. I opened my heavy eyes, I wanted to sleep just a bit more. I noticed something on my finger...oh right, I've had this on when I was in the hospital, it's for my heartbeat...I always hated it, it felt like my circulation was cutting off...yet, this one wasn't, guess someone competent put it on for once. Nicholai sat beside me, reading a book...the one Kenneth read when we were younger.

"What are you doing here?" It was surprising, I expected Kenneth or Sam.

"Remember last time? When we were human? You ripped out your medicine, I'm not gonna let that happen again." I guess she had a point. I sat up in my bed, leaning against the little wall it had. We sat in silence mostly, the only noise being the heart rate monitor beeping at the same interval, changing slightly only when I moved a bit, the only other noise was inconsistent, the pages turning on Nicholai's book.

"Hey" I spoke quietly.

"Yeah?" She stopped reading and looked up.

"Do you remember that illness Sam had?" Nicholai sighed and stood up from her chair, setting the book down.

"Listen Lee, if you're thinking it's your fault that happened, then I don't know what to tell you."

"No, no...it's just...nevermind" I thought back to my guitar...thinking about it now, when did she learn...and by who? She was in a hospital for most of her life...yet when she came out of it, when she recovered, she knew guitar and joined me in playing music the second she found out.

"Well, as long as you're not blaming yourself...you know, if I was to join this band coming together again I'd have to get another electric piano." She said it like it was no big deal, I expected she would decline and I'd have to convince her to join...but this was better.

"Well, that shouldn't be too hard, I think I still remember how to make costumes as well."

"Right, I forget you have a talent other than writing in a journal"

"Well, it's not like it mattered too much" Talent...that word felt made me feel a bit queasy. "Anyways, how about we go look for a piano now? That job came through as a success for some reason, and I'm not one to just save money forever"

"That'd imply I didn't get money"

"Ahh...yeah, still, there has to be at least one music store"

"Ah hem" She looked at me, then the heart monitor.

"I'm fine~" Nicholai crossed her arms "Nicholai...I know I'm not the strongest being in the world, but I'm not weak either. How about I walk with a cane, would th-

"You already have a cane." eh? "You were injured before remember?...but, if you have enough strength to continue arguing with me, then...I guess"

"Wow, us hanging out together on our own will, who would've thought." I peeled off the sticker thing around my finger.

"Who would've" She grabbed her book and made it vanish. "Come on then, before anyone realizes you disconnected yourself.

"Don't worry, I'll just teleport"

"oh no...you learned how to travel dimensions didn't you"

"Not that hard actually, I don't know why they didn't just tell us before." I sat up and stretched around. I hadn't been out for long from the looks of it. "You know, we may be able to find your piano, your original one? After all, I have my hat, my headband...and I think I've seen my electric guitar before."

"How'd you tell it was yours" Both of us walked out of my room.

"Mine has a certain engraving. L.N.K.S"