𝒳𝐿𝐼𝐼𝐼

Start from the beginning

"It's not stupid." he assured, and Del lifted her head with a small sigh, James watched as she looked up slightly towards the Slytherin table, before her eyes quickly darted back towards him. She nervously chewed on her lip, she looked uncharacteristically vulnerable.

"I feel like- It's just- I don't know. Leo and Lucius have been glaring all morning." She whispered anxiously and James subtly looked towards the green and silver table and instantly, was he able to spot both her brother and ex shooting daggers towards her- or them.

"We've both finished breakfast, let's just get out of here." James smirked playfully, hoping to distract both his and Del's discomfort. Though the two didn't dare say it out loud, they both feared for what was to come during the ball. Leo's threats didn't lay lightly in the back of their minds.

Del smiled gratefully, she was relieved that he knew how overstimulated she could get in such a large room of people, as she stood up with him; her leather messenger bag clinging onto her shoulder as she looked nowhere but towards him while they left the Great Hall.

Del felt like she was in a trance of some sort, she couldn't remove her gaze off of him as she wondered how she got so lucky. Sure she went through hell and back to get to where she was now, but she couldn't have been more fortunate to gain someone like James in her life. She couldn't imagine being where she was; making it this far, without him, and she only hoped that she would never lose him.

"I know where we can go, where they won't be." James thought out loud while staring out the large open window in the corridor, he hadn't noticed Del's unmoving gaze, but if he had he'd be a blushing, stuttering, mess.

Del hummed contently in question, she smiled lightly as James' jawlines flexed slightly as he stared out into the pouring snow.

"We still need to get our Yule Ball attire, no?" James finally said while turning to look down at Del, his lips pursed slightly as he fought off his smile of awe, she looked angelic, majestical, even in the darkened corridor.

Yet Del's let hers only grow wider as she imagined the two of them shopping for a gown and suit. She wouldn't dare admit that she'd already bought one with Marlene, Dorcas, Lily, Alice, Frank, and Mary, nor would James say that he and Sirius had already bought one over summer break, but it was fair to say that they were prepared, yet they still felt the need to go through the experience again, this time with each other. It wasn't like money was exactly a problem for the two.

"What colour scheme are we going with?" Del asked with wide eyes and as she bit her bottom lip which was stretched out in a playful smirk.

"I was thinking about my favourite colour." He replied with the same expression and tone; he watched Del's face falter slightly, and normally the action would pain him, but instead he felt excitement begin to bubble in his chest.

Though he wanted her to choose whichever dress she wanted, he had already set a gorgeous gown on hold, it looked as if it were made for her, from the size to the colours, length, and shape. He could only envision her in such beauty and he couldn't help the need to at least see her in it.

* * *

Del insisted on choosing James' dress suit, under the condition that he could choose hers; which he obviously agreed too. Which was why he was now standing on a small circle platform as a middle-aged man held a tailor tape against his torso while Del fought the urge to laugh at James' uncomfortable stance.

"Oh! A little close, no?" James yelped nervously as the un-named man brought the measuring strip at the start of the crotch of his pants to the ends, the man ignored his comment and continued his job and James sent pleading eyes to Del.