𝒳

"Yet I've never felt soberer."

-Del's Pov-

I instantly froze once I realized what was going on through his head. I felt his grip on my arms tighten ever so slightly, but still not tight enough for me not to be able to escape out of his grasp.

He lowered his head to where we could easily make eye contact without me having to tilt my head up to its fullest capacity, I could hear his breath quicken while mine hitched to almost a choke.

His pupils were dilated, his eyes seemed to almost deepen in shade, the hazel color I had began to favor now almost looked like a dark Reseda Green, and his breath soaked with cinnamon and whiskey, but his aromatic figure overpowered the distasteful alcohol stench, by how close we had been I could smell different hints of palo santo and amber, with random dashes of leather and broomstick polish.

He leaned closer to me and I felt like I was physically paralyzed while my mind began to run wild, this wasn't right, he was intoxicated, extremely intoxicated, and I had quite literally just gotten out of a relationship not even an hour ago, It was obvious he was trying to appear soberer than he truly was but all his movements and expressions were dead giveaways.

I stared up at him with wide eyes as his had faltered to my lips again, but once I had opened my mouth to protest the upcoming actions he claimed my lips and voice with his.

For the first second, I stayed paralyzed not even comprehending what was going on.

In the second, second I felt his lips begin to move with mine.

And by the third second, I had lightly guided him off of me.

"N-no we can't." I stuttered with shock, my eyes still wide with shock and confusion.

He looked down at me with the same expression, but it didn't hold guilt or regret, mainly just shock that he had actually just kissed me.

"Why?" He replied in a whisper as he stepped closer to me, he didn't make a move to kiss me again but just stood to where we were once again chest to chest, we had barely been touching yet I could still feel his racing heart which was almost matching the rhythm of mine.

"Because James, you're drunk, this isn't right," I said, luckily I was able to control my voice so it didn't come out as shaky as it did like last time but it still didn't sound as firm as I wanted or expected it to.

"Yet I've never felt soberer." He replied calmly, he seemed so fucking calm right now.

"But you're not, you aren't sober, James." My voice came across exactly how I needed it to this time, firm and non-negotiable, this night really needed to come to an end.

"Fine, if I were sober and I kissed you what would've you done then?"

Opening my mouth to reply I realized I had no clue what the answer to that was, in all honesty, I could only view myself pushing him off, it was too soon for everything, and anything, I had just become truly civil with him today.

Shaking my head with my mouth still parted I showed him I didn't know the answer to that question.

"Let's just get to our dorms, it's late." I sighed defeatedly as I left his grasp and continued my path to the common room, it took almost all my willpower to not look back at him.

James Potter just fucking kissed me.

-Marlene's Pov-

Walking up the stairs with Dorcas we both stayed silent, out of our friend group we were definitely the closest, we were all still extremely tight but lately, it felt like Dorcas and I always got excluded from everything. Alice had told me that she was going to sneak with the boys and stay with Frank tonight, Mary said she was staying in the Ravenclaw common room with some of her friends, and Lily said she was going to stay with Amos in the Hufflepuff tower. Dorcas and I found it odd that they all decided to hang out with other people tonight but we didn't think too much about it until we overheard Mary expressing how she felt somewhat guilty for lying to us on how they were all staying the night in Lily's single dorm.