𝒳𝒳𝒳𝐼𝐼

"I don't care, he shouldn't be the one protecting her"

Queue 'The Night We Met' by Lord Huron:

The feeling of being in Cal's embrace brought serenity to my whole body as restful chills ran along my skin, I hadn't realised how much I missed being around him until this very moment. Even after I thought I wouldn't feel any safer I felt a comforting and familiar hand rubbing my back which caused me to pull away from the hug and turn around to meet the amber and brown eyes that caused tears to rise to the surface.

I wasn't one to cry in front of people, I hated it, all the pity looks, or constant bullshit comforting words made me ill to my stomach, yet in the moment I didn't care, I even craved the lies, the simple 'It'll be okay' or the 'I won't let anyone harm you.'

I just wanted to feel safe.

So fully disconnecting myself from Cal I fell into Regulus who held the same concerned gaze as all those around me, his arm quickly wrapping around me as my dry whimpered turned into messy sobs and croaks of pure pain.

Emotional and Physical.

Sure, Lucius and I have gotten into arguments but nothing like this, even if we somehow forgave each other and became siblings again, nothing would be the same.

I feared my brother as much as I feared Leo.

Even if Leo had caused more physical pain onto me, even if he had hurt me in ways that I wouldn't ever be able to explain, Lucius had betrayed a trust that I have never given anyone else, he was my brother and now it felt as if he had just thrown all sixteen years away into the fire carelessly.

Though I said those words in the heat of the moment, there had still been truth within the poison of my tone, Lucius was like Abraxas, it was no lie that Lucius had taken after his father's genes, but the anger in his eyes was nothing genetic, it was pure Malfoy fury.

While in the new embrace with Regulus the corridor had fallen silent, the only thing heard was the angered pants from all three boys and the occasional sniffles from myself which told me that while my face was buried in my cousin's chest, a silent conversation was held between the others.

Not knowing what was being said caused a random sense of panic within me so pulling myself from Regulus I stepped back and was met with three different sets of eyes, all holding assorted colours but the same concern.

"D, I know we've said this more times than we can even count this year, but we need to talk, it doesn't have to be now or even tomorrow, but soon we need to all just sit down and listen to each other, things are getting out of hand, and we miss you. Genuinely." Cal said slowly as he anxiously scratched the back of his head as if he were preparing himself for rejection.

"Please." Was all I was able to reply with, I've always cherished and valued the relationship I had with my Slytherins, and I would be a gnarly liar if I said I didn't miss them.

"We're going to give you some time, take as much as you need, but the second you're ready you come running to us, okay?" Regulus smiled as he ruffled my hair slightly, the demanding yet playful tone had me crack a small smile as I nodded, knowing that it wouldn't take long before I came knocking on the Slytherin door.

"Let's get you to the common room, shall we?" Colton asked carefully as he held out his hand for me to take, I looked over to Regulus and Cal who both nodded, silent promises that this wouldn't be the last time we'll see each other becoming clear in the air.