THE DARK'S AWAITED LIGHT

LISA

It's been a week that my routine has been the same. I am nervous but at the same time excited for my son. His doctor has been doing all the test to know if he is ready for his eye operation. I even brought him to a psychologist to really make sure if he is ready. But my son is a strong boy. He is willing to face it for his sight. 

I told him the story how he got a pair of eyes for the corneal tissue to be transferred to him. He felt bad. But Mr. and Mrs. Leck talked to Marcus and they assured him that he has nothing to be sad about. Yes, their son didn't make it. I really feel sad. But what can we do if it's in God's plan, right? Marcus and I would even pray at night before I leave their house and when it's time for him to go to bed. We pray for that little boy's soul and through our humble words, we thank him for my son's sight.

The day of his corneal transplant came. I was so nervous. Mama Cathy was with me. Mik wanted to join us but I asked a favor from him to take care with their dad and Kylie at home. Jennie was not able to join us as she has some commitments at work. She insisted to decline some offers but I told her that it's too late and she has nothing to worry about and I will take care of our son.

Mama Cathy and I just spend hours at the hospital chapel, praying for my son's successful operation. The doctor laid to us all the possibilities after this. It's still possible that Marcus will either be still blind or if he will be blessed with sight, he might have a blurry vision that will require him to wear glasses. The latter is much better than having no sight at all.

God. Please hear our prayers. Let my son see the world. Let my son see that I am a changed person and that he deserves all my love. I want Marcus to have a bright future. I want my children not to suffer in life. I want them to see that I have more plans for their future that's why I work so hard. I want them to see how I will guide them.

After hours of waiting and been updating Jennie, the doctor called us. His news brought me to tears. Tears of joy. 

I called Jen right away and told her about it. She cried over the phone. She thanked me. I said it's not me. It's God who has been working and blessed us with this chance and hope. And I told her that our son deserves to see his purpose in this world.

I picked up Jennie from where her shoot location is. We had dinner together and talked about what happened at the hospital. I also invited the Leck couple to join us for my wife to meet them in person too. Jennie sincerely thanked them. 

After bringing them to their house, Jennie and I decided to grab some coffee and tea at the café where I proposed to her. 

But we didn't talk to reminisce that proposal. The moment was more on being silent and just praying together. We both prayed to thank the creator for granting our wish for our son. You know why we are so emotional? The truth is, we just let ourselves believe that there's still hope for our son to see. We were told by the doctor that it's rare to get an eye donor nowadays. But look how good God is. 

"I prayed for you and for myself." I whispered to Jennie while she is leaning her head on my chest while we watch some yacht approaching the other side of the bridge. 

"Really? What did you pray for me?" She asked.

"That I hope you will be happy forever, Jen. You deserve it." I said. She just stayed quiet and sighed.

"I prayed for myself too that I will maintain this change. You know. I really had to learn the hard way. All my mistakes in the past are unacceptable. I must forgive myself too. If there's one thing I want to change about the past, it's how I treated you. How I wish I can turn back time and be expressive of my love for you. Jen, I will never stop apologizing." I said and did not notice that I am already crying.