MEAT AND MALLOWS

LISA

I am resting under the sheets and I don't know what to do. It's my birthday. My parents and Jennie's greeted me already. My sister called me so early in the morning. My wife's bother also did when I had a video call with my children through him. I am planning to take my children out for lunch.

I messaged Jennie to ask permission if I can pick up the kids but I still got no reply or greeting from her.

I took a bath and prepared myself as I have to visit the Heart Center first before picking up Marcus and Kylie.

After I wore my clothes, my phone rang.

It's her.

J: Hi. Where are you?

L: Hi, Jen! Still at home. Will have lunch with our kids in a bit. Did you get my text?

J: Yeah. After that, are you going somewhere? Do you have plans?

I am wondering why she is asking.

L: None so far. Why?

J: I am still in a photoshoot here in Blackwood. I heard from some of the staffs that there's a log cabin with jacuzzi in the middle of the forest nearby. I am planning to book for a night. What do you think?

L: Hmmm. Are you inviting me?

J: You want me to invite Eun-woo instead?

L: Noooo! I am coming! Send me the address. Let me book it for us. What else do we need there? I'll get some before leaving the city.

J: I asked our assistant to buy us some food to grill tonight and something for pancakes tomorrow morning. Let's go?

L: Ok! Wine or beer?

J: You don't drink anymore, right?

L: Yeah. Maybe you just want something for yourself.

J: Wine please!

L: Surely, Madame! I love you.

J: Take care, ok?

L: Yes. You too. I love you Jennie!

I thought I am going to be alone on my birthday just like how I spent it after we separated.

I visited the Heart Center first. I waited for my doctor to arrive. While sitting on the waiting area, I noticed a couple crying just right next to me.

"Ma'am, Sir, is there any problem? How may I help you?" My heart is breaking listening to them while they are sobbing.

"We have a problem. Our son has a limited life already. We learned from his doctor that he has only two weeks to live." The mother said and I don't know why I suddenly cried.

"And we have no money to pay for his hospital bills here at the Heart Center. I am jobless. I don't know what to do." The father is hopeless.

I took a calling card from my wallet. I stood up and handed it to the man.

"What is this?" He asked curiously.

"I am giving you a job. What is your name? That's my assistant's number. Call him right away. I will also tell him to open a job for you based on your expertise. Send him too your hospital bills here. I'll take care of it." I said. I don't even know why I am doing this.

"L Airlines? Wait. Are— are you the Lisa Manoban who owns it? I am Hector Leck and this is my wife Sally." He asked after looking at the card.

"Yes. I will also pray for your son's recovery. Don't lose hope. I am also not losing hope for my own son." I said and wiped my tears.