I instantly feel bad for lying to him but I needed to get to the precinct with this information. I lean back over to Emery and give him another kiss.

“I promise to make this up to you. I love you.” I whisper to him.

“I love you too. Call me when you’re feeling better and I’ll come over if your mom is cool.”

I nod and after one more kiss I exit his car. I go inside and go to the window. I pull back the curtain and watch him drive away. When his car is out of sight I call a cab and it arrives ten minutes later. I get into the back seat and tell the driver to take me to the precinct.

The drive takes forty-five minutes and as soon as I enter I ask for the detective over Felix’s case. A large, muscular black man appears and I tell him I have a recording of something he will want to hear.

He leads me to a conference room and we take a seat. I pull out my phone and access the recording. As soon as the voices fill the room I tell the detective the first voice is of Gina Wells and the second voice is Leslie Springer.

 “But what if Felix gets convicted? He’ll go to jail.”

“No, he won’t. Listen, his parents have money okay. They’ll post his bail and when we get out of school I’ll go to him and tell him that we will drop the charges against him if he agrees to be with me.”

“But we’ll get in trouble for lying to the cops.”

“No we won’t because they won’t find out. Victims, like you and I, drop charges all the time.”

I stop the recording at that moment. That was all the detective needed to hear in order to clear Felix’s name. I see the man lean back in his chair rubbing his chin. After a moment he offers me a small smile, takes my cell phone and leaves the room.

After half an hour he comes back in the room, returns my phone to me and I notice the battery has died. The detective waves for me to follow him. I do so and when we walk out to the front I see Felix standing at one of the desks. He sees me and rushes toward me.

“Thank you.” he whispers and pulls me to him in a tight hug.

“You would do the same for me right?” I smile against his chest.

“But I’ve been an asshole to you and you still saved my ass.”

“Believe me if anyone else had heard what those girls said, they would be doing the same thing. You can let me go now.”

Felix lets out a small laugh as he releases me. He thanks me once again and an officer appears with a bag of Felix’s belongings.

I ask the detective over the case what will happen with Leslie and Gina.

“Well they will be arrested and charged with filing a false police report.” he tells me.

“They deserve it.” Felix huffs.