Chapter 16

The sun shone it's bright light through the cracks in the faded curtains. Carl had an arm slung around my waist as he buryed his head in my hair.

Judith gurgled happily, besides the situation. I wished I could be so innocent in all of this.

Alas, my hands were stained with the blood of my past.

"Carl." I whispered, shaking the sleeping boy.

"Can we just sleep a little longer." Carl replied, his voice raspy.

"You know I would love that, but y'know, we might get eaten."

I hopped out of the bed, besides Carl's whimpers and protests. I plucked Judith from her cot and rocked her softly.

"Hey, baby." I cooed. Judith gurgled and I kissed her forehead softly.

"We should get going."

Carl nodded and slipped into the kitchen, packing everything we had a bag he got from one of the rooms in the cottage.

I slung the rucksack over my shoulders and strapped Judith into her carrier. The outside air was cool and breezy. I dipped into the cover of the trees.

It was an hour or so before we reached any roads, but it wasn't a road. It was a traintrack.

"Should we follow this track?" I asked Carl.

Carl sighed.
"Where are we going, Lauren?"

"What do you mean where are we going? We are going to find the rest of the group!"

"I don't want to look for them." Carl replied lowly.

"What do you mean?"

"I mean. I don't want to search for weeks on end for people that are most likely dead!" Carl snapped and I flinced at his anger. His face immediatly softened.
"I-I'm sorry, Lauren."

Carl caught a hold of my arm but I apruptly shook him off.
"Do you think this is easy for me?," I snapped.
"I literally just find the only family I have had in years, and he's gone! I'm stuck with a baby which I will be constantly worring about because she can't defend herself! The only solice I had was you with me, but obviously you would rather be somewhere else."

Carl flinched at the heat of my words.
"I wouldn't rather be with anyone but you!" He yelled.

"You have a fucking funny way of showin' it." I hissed and set off walking down the train track.

Some Walkers were attracted to the noise but I took care of them quickly, using my anger as a weapon. Carl didn't bother trying to talk to me after I stalked off, he just sulkily followed me a few dozen yards behind.

Every step I took without him beside me was like a stab at the heart, and I didn't know why.

The evening light was painting the sky purple and my limbs were becoming tired from the constant walking. I slipped into the forest to find some place to set up camp.

Carl joined me and pulled out a coil of wire from his bag, tying it around the trees to form some kind of square. He tied some items to the wire and I got what he was doing.

Walker walks into the wire and the items hit off eachother and alert us.

I threw a sheet over the ground and set Judith down, feeding her some food before letting her drift off into a gentle slumber. I sighed and ran my fingers through my matted hair.

"I'm sorry," Carl whispered almost inaudible.
"I just don't want us to risk our lives for something that might not even be there. I don't want you to risk your life."

I let out a long, tired breath and played with my hands.
"What do you want me to say, Carl?"

"You don't have to say anything, just forgive me. Please."

"I don't think it's humainly possible to hate you."

Carl smiled and sat down next to me.

"You're right. We'll follow that traintrack and find somewhere to settle. There has to be something at the end of it."

Carl nodded and wrapped his arms around my waist. I let my head lay back against his chest and I puffed out a long breath, staring at the sky.

"Don't leave me." He whispered into my ear.

"I'll never leave you, Carl. We're in this together."

"You should probably get to sleep. I'll take first watch."

I nodded and layed back on the sheet, loosely wrapping my arms around Judith. Carl sat up to leave but I caught his arm.
"You can watch from here."

Carl smiled and wrapped his arms around my waist.

I started to think about what had happened. I refuse to believe that they are all dead, just split up like Carl and I.

Maybe we will find them one day, but I know that I'm not going to look for them. It will only put the people I care about at risk.

Carl kissed me on the cheek before I let myself fall asleep.

I wasn't just falling asleep.

Will this Larl ship sail already! Chapter 16 and one step closer.

Vote and Comment!