lxviii. the fulfillment of the prophecies

Start from the beginning

His Death Eaters laughed with him. Then, Voldemort turned back to them with a malicious grin. "From this day forth, you put your faith in me. And now is the time to declare yourself. Come forward and join us. Or die."

"Draco. Draco..." Lucius Malfoy suddenly called out, and everyone turned to the back of the crowd and saw Draco there. The older Malfoy held out his hand, beckoning his son to come over.

But then, Draco looked around him and his eyes met the eyes of his friends, Pansy, Theo, Daphne and Blaise... They were frowning at him, and Draco knew they already made their choices. They weren't going to stand with Voldemort anymore.

"Slytherin has their place here in Hogwarts." Pansy suddenly spoke, making all eyes turn to her. But she wasn't looking at anyone else but Draco, trying to give him courage and make him understand. "I understand that now. I hope you do too."

"Draco." Narcissa Malfoy spoke softly, pleading with her eyes for him to come.

Voldemort let out a bark of laughter at that. "There will be no more Sorting at Hogwarts School. There will be no more Houses. The emblem, shield and colors of my noble ancestor, Salazar Slytherin, will suffice everyone."

Draco's eyes then met Deanna's and he was surprised to see a soft gaze in her eyes instead of the anger she had the last time they crossed paths. Then, the Dumbledore spoke in a soft voice, staring at Draco. "Help will always be given at Hogwarts to those who ask for it... to those who deserve it."

Draco got her message. Whether he deserved the help of Hogwarts or not relied on his choice now. So, he stared Voldemort straight in the eyes for the first time in his life. The Dark Lord smiled widely, knowing that Draco's coming to their side would be a huge blow to Deanna and every wizard there who still dared to oppose him.

But the smile fell off his face and Lucius and Narcissa Malfoy were in shock when Draco shook his head defiantly. "I'm standing here. With Hogwarts."

"DRACO!" Narcissa yelled out with sorrow in her voice while Lucius angrily glared at his son.

Draco knew he made the right decision judging by the smiles that the Order, Dumbledore's Army, his friends and Deanna Dumbledore gave him. They were right. Slytherin had a place here at Hogwarts. Deanna was happy that Draco finally realized that, and she immediately readied her wand because she saw the anger visible on Voldemort's face, but before they could say or do anything...

Neville suddenly moved, taking their attention. Their eyes widened to see him limping towards Voldemort while holding the Sorting Hat that he found on the ground.

When Neville stopped in the middle, Voldemort looked at him from head to foot before speaking. "Well, I must say I'd hoped for better."

The Death Eaters burst into laughter with Bellatrix laughing the loudest while Voldemort grinned at Neville, thinking he wanted to come forward and join him. Deanna, on the other hand, was keeping her guard up, knowing that Neville would never join them but unaware of what Neville was trying to do.

"And who might you be, young man?"

"Neville Longbottom." Neville answered, looking at the ground while the Death Eaters laughed once more.