l. love lingers

Depuis le début

"Hey!" Deanna pouted at him, making the Weasley laugh once more. "I'm serious, Ron."

"And so am I." Ron calmed down, looking seriously at Deanna. "If I let you go, you'll be in even more danger."

"And if I stay, I'll put you all in danger." Deanna sighed in frustration, wanting Ron to understand. "Don't you understand, Ron? If I stay, there's a possibility we could all get killed. He can see me, he can see where I am."

Seeing Ron's eyes widen at that piece of information, Deanna continued on. "My father and Alastor died because of me. George got his ear injured because of me. Your grandparents, my friends, died because of me. My friends... They deserved to live longer lives, and now, they're gone. They couldn't even meet their grandchildren."

She clenched her fists and blinked back her tears, the reality hitting her. What if she realized the truth about Voldemort sooner? What if she died instead of Myrtle? Would her friends be alive now? Would her father be alive now? Would the Wizarding World be at peace?

Deanna knew there was no use of dwelling on the what if's and what could be's, but she couldn't help the pain in her heart. No matter how much people would tell her it was not her fault, those words would never take away the lingering guilt in her. The lingering guilt of surviving.

Ron stared at her with sadness in his eyes. He was surprised at what she said about Voldemort seeing her, but it didn't change his mind about letting Deanna go. Hearing what she really felt about everything made Ron realize just how heavy was the weight on Deanna Dumbledore's shoulders. She wanted to protect everything even if it meant sacrificing herself. It made Ron want to protect her.

Ron took a step towards her and hugged her tight with no intention of letting her go. "I'll be your Magnus again. Or Ignatius or Thaddeus or Septimus. Just stay, Deanna. We need you here."

A tear fell from Deanna's eye followed by another until she let out a sob. She really loved the new friends she made in these time, but a part of her heart would always belong to her old friends. But here was Ron and his offer. He always reminded her of her friends, and she knew he was his own person. She wanted him to stay as Ron Weasley, but it was just heartwarming to her. As if someone finally understood her.

Deanna hugged Ron back with a shaky sigh. It felt nice to hear those words, it felt nice to be needed. She didn't know just how much she needed to hear them until they came from Ron's mouth. "I already told you. I might put you all in danger."

"We're all in danger already, Deanna." Ron wiped away a stray tear and smiled widely. He couldn't stand seeing Deanna in so much pain when she was always a bright person. "And we won't let that crazy bastard take you. No matter what."

Deanna smiled at him through her tears. "Just be Ron. Just be the Ron Weasley you are, and I'll be fine. All my friends are watching over us. Someone told me they're up there as stars in the sky and they'll be there for eternity."

Ron hugged her back once more, hiding the tears that fell from his eyes. Two hearts were comforted in that moment. Ron who was always being overshadowed and wanting to be recognized as himself and Deanna who had to bear the weight of the whole world on her shoulders.

•─────⋅☾ ☽⋅─────•

Deanna knocked on the door and smiled at Fleur who had opened it. "Congratulations, soon to be Mrs. Weasley. You look wonderful indeed."