LXXXV - A conversation with Nightmare

"So, they woke up once? That was it?" Becca questioned, hands covering her heart,"Please, I need to know."

Nodding, the maid gave them the reassurance they needed,"Yes, they've woken up once so far. However, I think that this coma like state was courtesy of something unnatural, like a device or a spell. I'm uncertain, and there's no saying for sure, but its the best conclusion we could draw up."

Becca, Morpho, Meta, Galacta, Maddie, Dedede, Kirby, Bandana Dee, Saffron, Maddie and Dark Meta all exchanged confused glances.

"I apologise for the lack of hours you've been allowed to visit, it's just that they've been quite awkward." Veronica huffed, sounding annoyed.

Becca looked besides her at their sleeping companion. They still had a heartbeat and a pulse, but the reason for their unconsciousness couldn't be determined.

-------------------------

"Sir, what makes you think this has anything to do with helping you?" Astro questioned, hand hovering over the hilt of her blade.

Nightmare scoffed,"The answer is none of your concern. After all, confidential matters as such are never disclosed to creations that are likely to betray their creator."

"What..?" Astro gasped,"You didn't create me. My parents died hundreds of years ago. You're not my father, Nightmare."

"I may not be your father, but you have never bothered to look at your family tree, have you?" Nightmare sniggered, his weak hand scratching at the planet's bare rock,"Why else do you believe your parents killed themselves? The horrors of war? Not a chance."

"My father killed my mother in a murder suicide, and I know that's a fact." She snarled, gritting her teeth.

Nightmare's loud cackled filled the whole planet,"He worked under his father's rule for countless years. I wore him thin, forcing him to fight those he knew were innocent. I drained that man of his sanity for my own pleasure."

"Why..?" Her shaky altered voice wavered,"My father...your own son..what purpose does that serve?"

"He was in the way. No creation of mine should be allowed to experience emotion. Much like how Meta Knight can feel guilt; he was never supposed to be able to feel anything. He was supposed to be a heartless, stoic killing machine."

"He's technically my uncle, since he was made by the same man who made my parents." She murmured, deepening herself in thought.

"I made your father. Your mother was a being I never made myself. The two happened to fall in love, and make you. My granddaughter.." His voice trailed off as he lead to a close. Guilt, was it? Or was it regret?

She couldn't look him in the eyes,"Why would you kill them, for your own personal gain? They were people with lives, and families!"

"To break you. If one of my creations were to conceive with a being that is not my creation, there is the off chance of emotion." He growled, his voice still containing that essence of uncertainty,"And I was correct with my suspicions."

"It didn't work. I blamed the deaths on your army, saying you'd forced the stress onto him." She hissed, tears forming in the bottom corners of her eyes.

Nightmare took a look at her, drinking in the sight,"If I had known my granddaughter was such a heroic soul, I would never have made her father. All I have done is create another being who wishes for my downfall."

"Why should I pity you? You forced thousands of Star Warriors to die, and made Meta Knight kill Jecra! You deserve no pity whatsoever, so stop moping about your loss." Astro spat, getting increasingly irritated at the mention of her so called uncle,"You're lucky I bothered to bring you back in spiritual form. You can do no harm, and serve as a spectator."

Nightmare hung his head, folding his arms as he frowned,"My presence affects nothing. I would take death over having to witness you slay demon beasts and be victorious."

"Why can't you be happy for your son and your granddaughter? Out of the war, we are the only ones to survive."

"Your uncle is to thank for that blasted war! He forced my creations against me, and built up an opposition! Had he not intervened, nobody would have died." He butted in, trying to dominate the conversation,"He is to thank for the losses of his so called friends."

Astro took a moment before she spoke again,"Power is what you wanted, and you stopped at nothing to get more. Your greed was the cause of the war, Nightmare, and you have no right to blame someone so heroic for a fault of your own."

"Nova knows how powerful he is. And, with that power at his disposal, he is deemed a larger threat than I. Re-evaluate and assess the situation and the participants before you conclude your judgement."

"I know exactly who is at fault. His power is tamed, and he knows what would happen to him if he tried to go against us all." She retaliated,"You should correct your judgement."

"Not a chance. I would die to the Star rod again before I deemed my son anything aside from a hazard." Nightmare hissed, clenching a fist.

"Farewell, grandfather." She responded, hissing the last word as though it were dishonouring her,"What a waste of time and space."

Stretching her wings, she readied herself to fly back to Popstar.