8 | our worst nightmare

Start from the beginning

Instead of traveling to luxury places for a year for the retirement celebration as the Romano tradition demands, he was at an enemy's mercy. With the former Italian Don in their chains, Russians had just raised greatly in the ranks.

This will turn into the biggest Mafia war in history.

And I will ensure I have the victory.

Wordlessly, I took the singlet from my cousin and slipped it on my finger. I stared down at it for a while. It felt uncomfortable and too big even though my fingers were thicker than my father's. I had prepared this since I was born and this moment was supposed to be one of the most important highlights of my life. Yet it didn't feel right to have this on. It didn't fit me.

With the chaos around me, I forced myself to focus on the important task - rescuing my brothers. Then get my father back and prepare for an upcoming war. There wasn't any time to dwell on anything.

"Is there anything else I need to know?"

Dante hesitated for a half-second before quickly covering it, but not before I noticed. "No."

He was lying. I looked deep into his dark brown eyes with my infamous Romano green eyes. He was alarmed and I imagine his thoughts was over the place.

I let it go. It was probably for the best if Father didn't think I should know. I was the Don now but I trusted that my father knew the better. But from the second Noah and Salvo is safe again and back home, I would take out whatever Dante was hiding no matter much it take.

"Has the detector detected any bombs?" I asked Alex and he shook his head.

"It's time," I announced.

We walked towards the concrete building with the men trailing after us. The was already open, welcoming us inside. It was dim inside and there was a small room leading to stairs. The stairs were the path to the dungeon.

"Very nice of them to leave the door open for us." Ares scoffed, appearing to Dante's side. Apollo and Elijah joined a moment later.

We went down the stairs, five soldiers were ahead of us in case we missed some Russians lurking around. Two staircases later, we stood in another two corridors - the much bigger one - with many cells. It seemed to go on and on for miles. One was in front of me and we were standing in the middle of one.

"You remember the plan?" Elijah asked the twins. They weren't inexperienced in the mafia but they were young and tended to get a bit out of control when it comes to guns and blood. Sometimes, I suspect they treat all of this as a video game.

"Of course, we memorized it hundred times over on way here," Apollo said solemnly. "Elijah, we wouldn't do anything to put our brothers in danger."

Ares nodded in return for his twin's promise.

With that promise, Elijah handed them layouts of this place. "In case you need it. Be safe. Go."

The twin obeyed and jogged through the left corridor with the men assigned following them.

"Alex and I will be traveling that way." I pointed to the one in front of us.

Dante's head whipped around. "I thought I'm going that way with Elijah."

"You're correct. I changed my mind." My sixth sense told me that my brothers were that way so I and Alex shall go that way.

"Uh." Dante looked at Elijah with some kind of unreadable desperation in his eyes. Elijah seemed to share the feeling. "I think we should stick to the plan."

"Our plan will be exceeded as planned. We only will switch places. Are there any problems?" The deception radar inside me was blasting.

"No." Elijah quickly clarified. "I just prefer to go that way."