Grimoire: Don't Look Back

Based on the line "Go. Go now, and don't look back."

It's gonna be a little angsty.

I also was inspired by the song Gone Too Soon by A Simple Plan

brother!Nierxsibling-like!reader

Takes place before act two; the reader is slightly older than Nier! Grimoire Weiss hasn't yet joined the picture; it's very early on!

One order of platonic sibling-like relationships with a huge helping of angst coming right up!

Tw: blood, death, impaled objects

———————————

Hey there now, where'd you go?

"Say you're getting pretty good at this Nier!"

Your opponent laughed, wiping his forehead as he leaned against his sword.

"You think I can take down shades with you now?"

"Not quite yet. If they're weaker shades then definitely. But not the huge monstrous shades."

"But anyone can take down those shades! Why can't I help you with those guys!"

You sighed, wiping off your trusted blade as he rambled. "Because I don't want you to get hurt. You're still learning and if anything happened to you Yonah would lose the only family she had left."

The words fell with a heavy feeling of finality. You didn't want him to get hurt and leave his sister alone. That was all there was to it.

But today Nier wasn't backing down.

"Please, Y/N. I'll be with you!"

You left me here so unexpected

In the end, you relented, allowing him to accompany you to the town of Seafront, where you had been asked to investigate the remains of a small fishing boat.

"Why did they ask you to handle this? Isn't this not a big deal for them?" Nier asked, cautiously shadowing your footsteps.

"Because they tried. Unfortunately, the people they sent didn't return. So they sent people to find the missing people. We're the last resort."

The ship itself wasn't in bad shape. While not as large as the supply vessels, it was still big for a fishing boat.

Both of you could smell the faint iron of blood. Something was lurking. Something deadly.

You changed my life, I hope you know

Armed with only your weapons, splitting up or going below deck was not an option for either of you. Despite your reputations, you were only human.

"Y/N, I think there's a shade lurking here!" Nier exclaimed. "There was something below deck-I saw it through the cracks!"

Cause now I'm lost, so unprotected

"Shoot. Did you see how big it was?"

"No. Maybe? I only saw a portion of it."

Now you were on high alert. Your trusted blade was ready, muscles tensed and ready for fight.

The shade itself didn't reveal its whole form. Encasing the small boat in dark, shadowy tentacles, it was clear what it's goal was.

"Nier, we need to get off the boat, now!" You called, urgency in your tone.

He nodded and jumped off the boat. You were about to follow when one of the tentacles wrapped around your ankle, causing you to faceplant onto the wooden deck.

In the blink of an eye

"Y/N! Hold on, I'll get you out of here!"

Through your dazed and blurry vision, you could make out the figure of Nier slashing at any part of the shade he could reach. But the boat was small; a collapse was inevitable at this rate.

Still wobbly, you manage to pry off the tentacle on your foot and stood up, leaning on the railing of the deck for support.

Nier grabbed your wrist, pulling you towards safety.

"Come on, we can still make it out of here!"

The metallic smell of blood took everyone back to reality. There was a piece of rod sticking through your abdomen. The blood was yours.

"Look, I'm just going to slow you down, Nier. I need you to get out. Let me deal with this shade alone and I'll meet up with you soon."

He didn't buy your white lie; not for a second. "Are you crazy? I'm not leaving you alone with this thing!"

"You have to. Yonah needs you!"

"Stop saying that! You need me too!"

Tears pricked in the corner of your eyes; this was goodbye.

"You're going to be a fine shade slayer one day," you whispered, coughing up blood. "Don't forget who taught you."

Nier shook his head, refusing to respond to anything now.

The floorboards cracked from underneath you. There wasn't much time left.

Before he could respond, you pulled him into an embrace, careful to avoid impaling him with the rod in your stomach.

He clung to you, desperately holding onto your shoulders as he sobbed.

"You're going to be alright, Nier. I know that. So take care of Yonah and the village for me."

He nodded into your shoulder.

"Okay, now I need you to do something for me. Promise me you'll do it Nier, no matter how much you hate it."

I never got to say goodbye

"I need you to go. Go now, and don't look back, whatever you do."

Shoving him away from you, Nier cried out as he watched the boat collapse under itself, buckling under the pressure.

He landed a few yards away, unable to move from the spot as the boat was engulfed in shadow.

"I'm coming back for you!" He shouted, fists clenching as he bit back another wave of tears.

But there was nothing he could do at the moment except run-run as fast as he could go. He couldn't fight the shade off alone even if he tried. There was no use avenging Y/N now.

He'd have to be patient.