Let Me Protect You

Evexhuman!reader
Genre: Angst with some fluff
Warnings: Self harm is discussed in this chapter
Prompt 20: "Your hand is so soft...I must protect it."
Requested by: @kuroneki

You weren't sure how you had managed to hide your various scars from the machine brothers.

You did, however, thank your lucky stars that you hadn't had to explain how or where you got them from. You weren't quite ready to have that conversation yet and besides, Eve was so happy, so cheerful, who were you to rain on his parade?

"Hey Y/N, Adam said he'd join us for a game today! What game do you want to play?"

'Speak of the Devil,' you thought as Eve popped out of your thoughts with a goofy grin on his face. "Hm, what about apples to apples?" You suggested. "I'm in the mood for a card game today."

"Okay! Adam's waiting in the library, race you there!" Eve laughed as he sped off, leaving you behind.

"Hey that's not fair you have the technological advantage!" You called after him. Yet, as usual, his childish nature infected you with his glee and enthusiasm, and you were soon laughing so much you had to crawl to the library.

"Are you alright Y/N?" Adam asked, glancing up from his book to watch you inch your way into the library like a giant mutated (but cute) inchworm.

"Oh I'm just dandy," you replied, as you fell into yet another round of giggles.

Eve jumped up to you and poked your (ticklish) stomach, causing you to explode in more laughter. This caused him to panic and he immediately picked you up and sat down on his seat. One problem though....

"Uh, Eve? Do you want me to sit in my seat?"

"No," Eve replied, nuzzling your neck. "I like this."

You were all too aware of Adam's ever-present smirk as your face swiftly exceeded an apple in terms of redness. You were sure that he had taken a photo of you, but honestly you couldn't care less. However, when his smirk left his face and became replaced with concern, you realized that your sleeve had been pushed up-revealing dozens of small, pale scars.

Eve, also seeing his brother's worried expression, turned you around so that you were facing him. He shared a look with Adam, who quietly excused himself, before focusing his attention on you.

"Who...or what hurt you?" He asked you, his face overflowing with worry.

You felt yourself close up, remembering those long ago nights in the bathroom. When Eve turned you around to face him, he was surprised to see tears staining your face.

"Ah, don't cry," he said softly, wiping your tears away with a gentle hand. "You're okay, I've got you." He didn't know why you were crying or what the scars meant, but he did know that he cared for you too much to see you hurt.

"I...I...I..." you tried to form any sort of coherent sentence but it was like that part of your brain was overwhelmed by the memories. You leaned into Eve's embrace and stayed there, your face hidden in his chest like a child.

Eve hummed quietly as he gently played with your hair and the gentle melody slowly lured you to sleep.

Carefully, he picked you up and carried you to your room, where you could rest more comfortably. As he lay you down and tucked the blankets around you, he found that your hand had somehow been tucked above the blankets, so he gently held it with the intent of tucking it within the warm blankets.

He didn't expect it to be so soft, like a...well he couldn't say for certain but it certainly felt softer than whatever silk was.

"Your hand is so soft," he whispered, pressing a kiss to your knuckles. "I must protect it."

As he turned to walk away, though, you sat up, blearily rubbing your eyes in an attempt to wake up.

"Please," you said softly. "Please don't leave me...I don't want to be alone right now."

Eve sat at the foot of your bed and smiled at you. "I'll stay for as long as you need me to, I promise you Y/N," he replied.

Imagine his surprise when you reached up and pulled him down so the two of you were cuddling.

"I'm sorry I didn't tell you about my...scars..." you said quietly, trying to get that out before you burst into tears again.

Eve gently ran his hands through your hair as he smiled at you. "When you're ready to tell me, I'll be right here," he whispered. "Until then I'll give you all the love I can give."

You smiled at his words and tucked your head under his chin. Neither of you move and it's not long until you drift into dreamland.