119: Back to School (1)

Chapter 119: Back to School (1)

Shoto Todoroki felt quite... weird on his way to his classroom.

He was never the type to care about what others thought of him, but he felt quite nervous just imagining walking into the class.

Ida died, all because Todoroki failed to save him. If only he was a minute early... he could have saved him.

But not only did he fail, but he also had to be saved by Neji. That was a big hit to his self-esteem. Was he nothing but a child in actual villains' eyes?

Was he really... so useless?

Todoroki was thinking, just when he heard a yell, saying 'Bye Neji!' from far. Turning in that direction, he saw Neji waving his hand to a blue-haired girl, who didn't seem to want to leave so Neji dashed away from there.

Neji spotted Todoroki looking and stopped in front of him.

"Oh, hey Todoroki. Are you doing fine now?" Neji asked as he watched Todoroki's eyes.

"...I am." Todoroki nodded and started walking beside Neji. "That was your sister?"

Neji inclined his head. "Yes, she is. Don't get any weird ideas about her, though."

Todoroki stared at him in confusion.

'Ah...' Neji blinked. 'Forgot he is oblivious about these things.'

"It's nothing, I was trying to make a joke."

Neji said to the staring Todoroki, who slowly lowered his head towards the ground.

"Sorry, my humour isn't that great."

Neji smiled cringely. "Dude, it's no big deal. Drop the formalities."

Todoroki nodded. "I will try."

But he couldn't try, however, because they had by then reached the door of Class 1-A.

They both stopped on their feet and exchanged glances. At last, with a sigh, Neji swiped the slide-door to the side.

Immediately, as if the people inside were waiting, their eyes shot towards Neji and Todoroki. The class, which was loud until a moment ago, went silent.

Neji and Todoroki awkwardly walked inside the class, standing there under the gazes of others for a long moment just as Kendo clapped her enlarged hands.

"Shake it off, guys!" She yelled. "They've been through enough, don't make this awkward for them!"

There was another long stretch of silence, before the class burst with questions. Many ran to Todoroki and Neji, but Neji swiftly avoided them to take a seat behind Momo.

Momo had come to school before Neji did because her mother came to pick her up since she was apparently missing her daughter too much.

"Sheesh, the vice-president is doing a better job than the president," Neji whispered as he sat down. "Wonder who that useless president is."

Momo turned to give him a dead stare and turned ahead again. She was about to say something just before Kendo did it. She knew he was joking about it, but she did feel ashamed at his insult. Some other girl was looking after her boyfriend, even though she was present right there.

While she grimaced deep in her mind, Ochako Uraraka called Neji from behind.

"Um, are you alright?" She asked softly. "It must have been so hard on you..."