Chapter 27: We're out (1)

Chapter 27: We’re out (1)

“Grandmama! Grandpapa! Aunty!”

Neji sat on the chair, smiling at the computer screen awkwardly while Kurai kept chattering from his arms.

The couple and the child on the other side of the screen stared at Kurai with a stunned look on their faces.

The ‘aunt’, Nejire, seemed overly cheerful like always though.

Nejire glanced at Aiko and Gara's faces, her eyes shining.

[“Whoa! Mommy, Daddy, look! Kurai can talk! She can actually talk! Fascinating isn’t it, isn't it?”]

Gara patted Nejire’s head with an awkward laugh.

[“Haha… I see it, baby… I see it.”]

She glared at Neji with a questioning look on her face, mouthing – ‘What’s happening here?’

It’s been a day since Kimi accepted her new position, and today – Gara had called in the morning. The past two days, Neji only sent them a short video of himself so Gara was dying to talk with Neji.

But who would have thought something like this would happen?

Neji shot a look towards Kimi who was in a corner of the room, outside the webcam's view. “Shh, come here.”

Kimi came, Neji handed Kurai to her – who struggled but Kimi swiftly scratched her lower chin, causing her body to twist and relax.

“Good morning, Lord and Lady Hado.” She bowed respectfully and moved out of the camera again.

[“Hm…”] Gara glanced at the vanishing Kimi. [“Am I the only one, or does Kimi look very happy today? She also seemed more beautiful than before… am I seeing things?”]

Neji kept his face straight. “Oh, she is probably happy since her ‘daughter’ can talk. I don't know about the beautifying effect though.”

[“Hm…”] It was Aiko’s turn who narrowed his eyes at him first, though he shook his head the next second. [“Anyway son, care to explain what’s up with Kurai? I am curious.”]

[“Oh, oh! Me too, me too!”] Nejire seemed curious as well.

Neji exchanged glances with them for a while, as a sigh escaped his nostrils. His parents knew about Kurai the day he took him from the road, they also knew Kurai couldn’t talk. Well, not before today.

Though – of course – he already has millions of excuses prepared under his palm.

“Her change is the reason why I couldn't talk for the last two days. I was afraid how to explain all this." He sighed.

"So basically,” Neji started, looking at the attentive look of the audience. “Kurai…”

[“You mean to say…”] Gara exchanged glances with Aiko. [“Kurai is like Nezu, the principle of U.A? You mean she has unlocked a Quirk?”]