Chapter 98: Rewards (1)

["As you have all seen, by knocking out Katsuki Bakugo, Neji Hado has claimed victory!!"]

Present Mic's words rang in Neji's ears.

["With that, the first-year winner of UA's Sports Festival is Neji Hado of class 1-A!!"]

Neji stood on the high platform, in the middle of Bakugo and Todoroki and Inasa, with the former being 2nd place and the latter two being 3rds.

["Next, Katsuki Bakugo takes second place, with both Shoto Todoroki and Inasa Yoarashi being the third!! Woo-hoo, it seems the top three are all from the same class!! The villain attack did do them good!"]

Neji felt all the eyes in the stadium lock on him and the three kids beside him.

Todoroki stood relatively straight. He looked happier than usual. Though his face was as neutral as ever.

Beside him, on the same platform, Inasa stood one head taller than Todoroki. He had his arms crossed as he tried to chat with the latter, to no avail.

Bakugo on the other hand stood on the platform on Neji's right. He had his head lowered, gazing to the ground. Unlike the canon timeline, he didn't need any physical restraints this time around, he was already half-broken on the inside to act aggressively.

Whilst Neji simply stood on his spot with a small smile and his hands in his pockets.

Then, clearing her throat in the speakers, Midnight replaced Present Mic.

"Ehm, Ehm." Midnight coughed. "Now, moving on to the medals. Presenting them this year is... you know who!!"

She posed her arms beside her.

Immediately, a spinning figure came crashing down from the sky. He landed on crouched legs and then raised his face in the air.

"I am..." His eternal grin widened. "Here with the medals!!"

Midnight's voice rang again. "Yes, it's everyone's hero, ALL MIGHT!"

Neji could hear the public's awe at All Might's arrival. All Might should have been in the third year grounds since that's where his successor, Mirio was. His being here meant the medal distribution was already finished there.

All Might then cleared his throat, which looked to be a polite sign from the outside, but Neji could see the bit of desperation in that cough.

He couldn't even last long enough to distribute the medals. That's how weak he was now.

'Sad days are coming.' Neji grimaced.

All Might's career was more-or-less done for. Though Neji didn't worry too much. With Mirio and himself present, All For One wouldn't be able to grow into a threat again...

All Might grabbed one medal and walked closer to Inasa and Todoroki. Neji didn't pay much attention to it, but he seemed to be talking about how quirks don't define life to Todoroki. While Inasa's speech on the other hand was generic, as he probably didn't have any protagonist-like background.

Then, All Might took both of them in a soft hug which seemed to surprise both of them.

Before they could react, All Might moved on to Bakugo.

"Young Bakugo," All Might said with a hand on Bakugo's shoulders. "This tournament isn't setting your life at stone. The seat of the winner is constantly changing, so don't let this small... 'defeat', as you put it, stop you from improving yourself."