Mission

You were on the jet by the time you realized you had left your phone with Tony, and Clint was already taking off. Cloud was strapped in between you and Scott, and grumbling to himself about how restrictive the belts were. You sat back and teased Clint and Scott as the flight was going to be a long one. Both of them teased you back accordingly. You started making jokes about Ants and Hawks, saying a hawk could eat an ant easily and looked at Scott and faked a cringe and said "awkward". Clint couldn't help but laugh and shook his head at you. You liked making them laugh, it made you feel good. It was a good few hours before you landed, and you unstrapped yourself and Cloud before heading to the back, waiting on Clint to release the back hatch. Scott was close behind you and you got out as soon as the hatch opened. You look in your surroundings and marveled at the beauty surrounding you. It was hard to believe in the middle of the forest there was going to be a hydra base. You could hear the sounds of the forest surrounding you, and you felt at peace. You looked to Cloud and could tell he felt the same way. You both took point, going forward while Scott watched the sides and Clint had your flank. You made your way through the side of the woods beside a service road and made your way quickly. You saw the base come into sight and stayed a little further back in the tree line and jumped up in the branches while Cloud went and laid down on the ground and watched them closely move around in front of the base.
"That's a lot of guards" Scott whispered taking his spot beside Cloud while Clint jumped up in the tree with you.
"What do you see?" Clint asked you first.
"They are packing something up. They must have an idea we are coming. Looks like a lot of intel in those trucks, probably some that we could use" you raised an eyebrow.
"What else do you see?" he pressed.
"There's three guards watching the door, I haven't seen them switch over yet. That means there's still a lot of important things on the inside" you looked to him biting your bottom lip.
"Good, is there anything else?" he looked out keeping watch.
"There's other wolves here" Cloud called up to you. "They might be on the inside, but I can smell them"
"Cloud says there's other wolves here, and they might be on the inside. He can smell them" you repeated.
"What the hell do they need with wolves?" Scott asked, running his hand through Clouds.
"Easy prey for experiments. Look around you, its someone's territory, but no markings" Cloud growled and you repeated it for him.
"We will get them out Cloud" Scott promised.
"They don't deserve this" you sighed.
"No one deserves it, this is what Hydra does" Clint nodded.
"I want the data on the trucks" you decided. "I want to destroy them"
"That's not what our orders are, only if we are compromised" Clint reminded you. "Always remember its orders first"
"Eight months later, and you're still taking me to school" you grinned.
"Always kid, you can't follow your heart all the time" he playfully punched you in the arm.
"I thought you said my heart was my best quality" you teased.
"Its one of them" he shrugged. You both watched as the guard finally changed. The guards took about five minutes to change positions, which was more than enough time for you to make it down there and in the door.
"If there's animals in there, we are freeing them" you spoke resolutely.
"That we can agree on" Scott called up. "I'm going to make my way in, see what I can see" he hit his suit and suddenly disappeared. You watched the door carefully and saw someone came out and knew that was Scotts in.
"This place stinks" Scott called through comms.
"Keep focused, how far to the computer room?" Clint asked.
"I'm looking" Scott called back. You both waited in silence, you felt like you were holding your breath almost, continuing to watch the guards and the flurry of activity down in front of the base. You knew instinctively you would have to wait to make your play at night when it was less busy. Clint never missed a beat, watching everything carefully taking it all in. You admired him. He had been training you mainly with the help of Natasha on defensive and offensive fighting. He had been with you most of your missions, and taught you almost everything you knew. Only a few times when he was back with his family had you been on missions with maybe one other team member. Mission 7 had been your first mission without Clint, and it had gone badly quickly once you were inside. Clint was normally the voice of reason in your ear and talking you through other possibilities or helping you get out of bad situations. When he had found out what happened, he just hugged you and told you that you did what you had to do. He was still proud of you.
"I found the computer room, its down the hallway, two lefts and a right. Its not guarded very well. I'm headed to the basement. There's only two floors by the looks of it" Scott called through the comms and you both looked to one another.
"Don't do anything stupid" Clint warned him.
"Stupid? Why would I do anything like that?" Scott chuckled. "I'm just looking for hostages"
"He's looking for the other wolves" you spoke internally to Cloud who grunted in response. You knew he was worried about wolves being experimented on. You were worried too. If it came down to it, you would take them home if they weren't safe to stay on their pack lands. You would find them a better home. It seemed like forever before you heard Scotts voice again. The sun had already started to set where you were, and the activity down below had gone down quite a bit. You watched with satisfaction they left the trucks unprotected while leaving for the night.
"I found the wolves. They are all chained up and in a cage. There's a pup here that looks like its dying..." you could hear the heartbreak in his voice.
"Not on my watch" you spoke firmly. "Can you find the keys?" you asked.
"Yeah, I snuck them off the guard while he wasn't watching. He just headed down the hallway, I don't know how much time we have" Scott sounded worried.
"I can get you in through that window with my grapple arrow" Clint pointed. "Cloud and I will make our way in once the guards move again"
"Cloud?" you looked down to him.
"I'll follow his orders until I'm back to you" Cloud confirmed. "Save the pup if you can" he added.
"I'm in it to save them all" you promised him. "Call Tony, tell him I need baby formula sent to the compound for a dog, and I need it in bulk" you looked to Clint.
"He's not going to like this" Clint shook his head taking out his phone.
"That's what you get when you have someone who talks to animals" you grinned. Clint fired his arrow through the window and secured the line before he went back to making his phone call. You slipped along the line easily and made your way into the base. Luckily you ended up exactly in the room you needed for the data. You made quick work of hacking into the mainframes and downloading as much data as possible, seeing the experiments they were trying to make. You felt disgusted. They wanted to make werewolves. You wondered what kind of monsters they really were. You slipped all the data sticks into your bra and slipped out the door making your way towards what you figured would be the basement. You saw the keys outside the cage and picked them up.
"Can you hear me?" you asked through your mind to the pack of ten wolves and one pup. They all looked up at you curiously. "My name is Y/N, and I'm here to save you" you continued to use your telepathic link.
"How do we know this isn't a trick?" one wolf stood up, that looked worse for wear. He was clearly the Alpha.
"My wolf companion Cloud is outside waiting" you spoke easily and walked into the cage and held out your hand so he could sniff you. "I'm not here to hurt you. I want your freedom"
"You need to save the pup" a female voice broke through. "They took the mother earlier today, and he needs his food"
"I'll take the pup with me, and make sure he grows big and strong" you promised as you started taking the chains off of them and the collars. Your heart broke with the state they were all in. "Is this your territory? Do you need to be moved to a new territory?" you asked gently.
"We can move on our own, we are tired of the world of man" the alpha nodded his head to you.
"I'm staying with her" a female wolf spoke up. "I want to make sure she keeps her promise about the pup. That's my little brother"
"Scott, I want you to check to see if there's anymore wolves in here" you spoke directly in the comm. "There should be a mother"
"I found her already, she's not with us anymore" Scott spoke sadly. You made sure the entire pack was free of chains and collars before picking up the young pup and cuddling it to your breast. A smaller timber wolf with beautiful coloring came over and stood beside you.
"What's your name?" you asked her gently.
"Melody" she responded softly.
"Are you sure you wish to join me? I work with the Avengers, and life is not always safe" you warned her.
"You saved us, and you are saving the pup. I'll follow where you go" she decided resolutely. You opened the door and they all scampered out just as you saw Cloud come running down the steps. He was larger than the Alpha who growled at him slightly but Cloud breezed past him and went to your side and sat down.
"Can we save the pup?" he demanded.
"We are going to" you nodded to him. "This is Melody, she wants to come with us"
"I'll train her" Cloud nodded, and sniffed at her. She lowered her head and let him sniff as much as he wanted to.
"I just let the pack out, we need to wait for next shift change to slip out but I have it timed" Clint came down the steps and saw you had three wolves with you and crossed his arms. "Tony's going to kill us"
"Her name is Melody, and she stays" you spoke firmly. "The pup needs to eat"
"Does he speak to wolves too?" Melody looked up at you.
"No, just me" you admitted. "Its one of my gifts" you spoke softly to her.
"What other gifts do you have?" she wagged her tail slightly.
"Fire" Cloud answered for you. "Its not always a gift to her"
"Scott?" you asked through the comms.
"Just being nosey on this truck here. Its just paper data of what I figure you got out of the computers" he announced. "I'm headed to the jet and I'll get it started. The guards are about to change" he warned you.
"We need to go" Clint looked back at the four of you. You still held the pup close, trying to keep him warm.
"What's the pup's name?" you asked Melody.
"He hasn't had his first howl yet. We just called him pup, he was the only one in the litter to survive" she answered gently and you felt the sadness in her words.
"Pup is a good name" you gave a smile and followed Clint with Cloud and Melody right behind you.
"Lets go" Clint opened the door and saw there were no guards. You started running like your life depended on it, and in a way, it did. Melody easily passed you and kept up pace with Clint while Cloud remained by your side as he always did. You made it back to the jet and Scott already had it started up. Clint went and took his seat to do the flight back.
"Your baby formula is going to be in the kitchen" Clint called back to you. "Tony wants a full report tomorrow you two" he warned.
"How are we going to explain the extra wolf?" Scott asked as he strapped in.
"I'll do it, and her name is Melody" you raised your eyebrow at him.
"Melody, Cloud and...." He pointed at the puppy.
"Pup" you gave a smile.
"This is going to be so great when Tony finds out" he chuckled.