Chapter 148: Genes

Xie Chi suddenly heard this sentence and felt strange for some reason. He frowned, closed his eyes and opened them again. It felt like his entire body was enveloped by an inexplicable emotion that came from an unknown place. It was even a bit ominous. He didn’t know if this hunch came from his talent.

Xie Chi raised his head and became more concerned about the person the statue was based on. He asked other things at will. The old man’s eyes flickered and he refused. “This is part of personal privacy and the app has forbidden me from talking about it…”

Xie Chi expressed his understanding. “I was impudent.”

The old man took Xie Chi to walk around the hall and sent him out. Xie Chi stopped and asked the old man without any hope. “In the history of the app, is there a person called Lian Shi?”

Xie Chi had always been curious about whether his world’s greatest scientist who had invented gene arrangement and combination technology had even come to the app. The old man’s figure stopped suddenly.

Xie Chi noticed his body language and was surprised. “There is, right?”

The old man pulled him in again as he stepped over the threshold and whispered, “Where did you hear that name?”

“I live in a world where there is a scientist called Lian Shi.”

The old man’s expression tensed before returning to normal. He seemed to wonder, “Why are you asking about him? Do you have anything to do with him?”

Xie Chi didn’t want to expose himself when the other person didn’t reveal anything. In addition, he really had nothing to do with Lian Shi so he just asked, “Do you know him?”

The old man knew Xie Chi was being evasive. He stared deeply before nodding. “I don’t know him but I know there is such a person.”

Xie Chi’s expression slightly changed. Since the old man knew Lian Shi, it seemed this person had really come to the app. So his achievements recorded in history were all given by the app and the initial technology of making pets came from the app.

“Are you sure that the Lian Shi you mentioned and the Lian Shi I mentioned are the same person?”

“There are many people called Lian Shi but only one is a scientist.”

Xie Chi tentatively asked, “How… is he?”

The old man lowered his head and looked at Xie Chi’s rings again. Then he looked up and fine lines appeared at the corners of his eyes, his face looking like a dried walnut. “He was at the front-tier more than 30 years ago. Then he left and never came back.”

30 years ago.

Xie Chi was silent. He was 22 years old this year and a first generation pet. Lian Shi had become famous over 30 years ago. It was him, yes.

Xie Chi knew his next request was too excessive but he still wanted to confirm it. “Can you tell me his wish?”

He didn’t hold any hope. He even thought the old man might silently blame him for his presumptuousness but the old man replied, “He had two wishes.”

Xie Chi was slightly surprised. When talking about the first statue, the old man said it was inconvenient to disclose due to privacy. Then why wasn’t Lian Shi’s matter private? Why was he willing to take the initiative now?

“First, genetic modification.”

Xie Chi nodded. He already knew this.

“The second one.” The old man seemed to take a deep breath. He turned to look at the first statue and once he turned back to Xie Chi, his expression was calm. “He wanted the best genes.”