Tortoises and a new friend

March 11th, 2011. Friday. Los Angeles, California.

Sofía's pov:
Today, during breakfast, Mama said she has a surprise for me, and I tried to make her tell me but she just doesn't want to. I like surprises but I don't like waiting for them, waiting sucks. The good thing is today I have acting class and spanish class, so hopefully the time goes by fast.

First is my spanish class. My teachers, Miss Camila, is very nice and she knows a lot. She is from México, from the capital, so she obviously is good at the language. Right now we are practicing speaking, so today I have to do a presentation of my favorite animal, saying the general facts about it. Lara and Mama helped me doing the poster about african elephants, and they also helped me learn all the facts.

I open my laptop and enter the session on skype. Miss Camila is in New York, so when I'm not there, we have the class in a videocall.
We say hi and start reviewing what we learned the last class. Then at the end of the class I do my presentation, I get a bit nervous but it goes great. She says I have no trouble understanding the words and that my pronunciation is getting way better; that maks me happy. We say goodbye and then I tell Lara if we can go watch Mama doing some scenes, since I have an hour and a half until I have my acting class, also I'm hungry and the little fridge on Mama's trailer ran out of snacks, we need to refill it.

When we reach the crafty room we see Mama standing there talking to Erasmo. He is Mama's bodyguard and he is very big and strong but he is also very nice and kinda cuddly. I met him last year one time Mama had an event in New York.
We walk closer to them and I notice there's a little girl next to him, but I don't know who that is.
~Oh hey baby, how was your spanish presentation? It went well?~ Mama says picking me up.
~Yes, Miss Camila said I'm doing amazing~ I say.
~That's great Sofí~
~Mama who is that?~ I say motioning to the little girl who was now in Erasmo's arms.
~That right there is Erasmo's daughter, remember he told you about her?~
~Maya say hi to Sofía~ Erasmo says.
~Hi Sofía~ she says waving her hand.
~Hi Maya, how old are you?~
~I'm seven!~
~Me too! Mama can we play together? Pleaaaase~
~Yes you can, but don't go far, stay close okay?~ she says after looking at Erasmo.
Both Maya and I wiggle out of our parents embrace and run outside of the crafty room with Lara behind us and start playing catch.

~

I had to go back to Mama's trailer for my acting class, so I couldn't keep playing with Maya because she also had to go back with her mom and her sister Fabiola; they are also mexican which is funny to me. Mama said that tomorrow we can go to the park and get ice cream or go to the movies with them, Erasmo agreed as well.
My acting class went amazing, we did crying today and I was able to do it. I'm glad I'm getting better cause I have two auditions in April and another one in May, and I wanna do my best in all of them. I now there's a big chance I won't get a role but I still wanna try my best.

We left set about 20 minutes ago, and Mama has been driving the entire time. I still have no idea were we are going and she still won't tell me, so instead she put disney music and we are singing.

~Sofí close your eyes please~
~Why?~ I ask starting to look at the window.
~Because I say so, please?~
I listen and close my eyes, trying my best to not take a look.
The car stops and Mama tells me to keep them closed. She opens my door, takes me out of my booster seat and carries me.
We enter through a door and I start hearing weird noises. I hear a lady greeting us, asks for our name and then we start walking again. I now have my eyes kinda open but my face is on the crook of Mama's neck, so I can't see anything anyways.
I start hearing even more noises and I finally know what they are... animals!!!

I look up finally opening my eyes and I gasp.
~A tortoise?~ I ask looking at Mama's eyes.
~Yes baby, you proved to me you are capable enough to take care of one. Wanna go see them?~ she tells me pinching my nose a bit.
I nod excited and she places me on the floor. I walk towards the place where the tortoises are and a lady starts telling me what they need to live comfortably, what they eat, the differences between female and male, that this are Red-Footed tortoises and more things that are necessary to know about.
I stare at all of them for quite some time, just admiring them. There are some small ones, babies, and there are some bigger ones.

~So which one is the new member of the family?~ Mama asks kneeling beside me.
~Those ones look pretty~ Lara says looking at some on the other side.
I stare for a bit longer and I finally see one, that looks like a baby, that is turned upside down but that instantly turn back around and continues walking, its kinda fast to be honest.
~That one!~ I say pointing at it.
~Great choice, this one is a male, how are you gonna name it?~ the lady asks.
~Mmm... Mr. Shelly Newton!~
~That's definetly a unique name~ Mama says laughing.

30 minutes later, the trunk of the car is full with Newton's new stuff and Newton is sitting next to me. I can't stop smiling. I already want him and Maggie to meet, I hope they get along.

Hello pals!

How are you? Anything new?
In my case so far uni is going great after two days of classes, I like all my teachers so far, but I still have one more to meet.

I hope you liked this chapter! That again nothing that exciting happens but has info for the future.

Stay safe <3