Chapter 31

At night when the stars, light up my room, I sit by myself, talking to the moon ~ Bruno Mars

I rushed into the room we were directed to by the front desk. After waiting an awkward amount of time in the elevator and searching different numbered doors we finally found my mom.

She sat on the standard hospital bed with her foot bandaged and elevated on a pillow. Her back was laid against the bed comfortably, she was sipping water through a straw.

"Oh my gosh, what happened," I ran over to her.

She finished her sip of water and grunted, sitting up. "One of my idiotic employees dropped a knife on my foot. I told him to drop it, but not on my damn foot!"

I winced, ouch. "When can you leave?" I scanned her vitals on the monitor.

"Tomorrow morning, they want to keep me overnight for observation. Nothing you should worry about."

"Mom, a knife was literally wedged in between the flesh of your foot. Of course I'm going to be worried," I shook my head.

Kendall placed the get-well flowers she just had to get, and stepped forward. Her eyes watered as she looked over my mom's state.

"Kendall please, it's just a small wound. Don't cry." She rolled her eyes.

She wiped a sly tear away, "I'm sorry, that must of really hurt Katherine, why didn't you call sooner?"

Mom sighed, opening her arms and Kendall ran into them. She petted her hair as she sniffled. "How am I the hurt one and you're the one crying?"

"I know, I'm sorry." She stepped back, wiping her tears. "Do you need anything, kitty cat?"

"No Ken doll, I'm fine," she giggled. "Is it just you two here?" She looked around the room.

"No, uh Victor is here, I'm not sure where he went though..." Kendall trailed off. She turned to me in alarm, "did we leave him downstairs?"

I covered my mouth, "oh my gosh I think we did."

Victor then walked through the door with a cupcake in his hand. He glided past us to my mom and handed her the sweet.

"Thank you V," mom smiled, accepting the cupcake.

"No problem," he said, placing his hands in the pockets of his pants. "Are you okay?"

"Yeah, I'm doing just fine. You guys don't have to worry about me, just a little cut." She looked down at the cupcake, a faint smile on her face.

Kendall looked at her friend wearily and then back to us. "Can you guys leave us for a second please. I need to speak to Katherine in private."

We nodded and stepped out of the room. We sat outside on the waiting chairs across from the door. I could hear the faint voice of Kendall and Kathrine arguing through the thick wood.

"What do you think they're arguing about?" I glanced over to Victor.

"I don't know, they've always been secretive whenever around each other. They could be talking about anything."

I nodded and tapped my fingers on the arm of the chair. The summer was almost over, with only a few weeks until the first day of school again.

"Are you ready for senior year?" I twisted in my seat, desperate for some conversation. Nurses and patients in wheel chairs strolled up and down the hall.

He shrugged, "just another year of school."

"Just another year?"

"That's what I said isn't it."