Chapter 14

Her hair is kinda wild and free, oh, but love grows where my Rosemary goes ~ Edison Lighthouse

"Thanks again for coming with me," I said to Lily. We were at the city's annual spring garden. Every year people gather at this location to help plant flowers or take a walk through the already finished part of the beautiful park.

Lily nodded her head in welcome. Victor's mom dragged us to the event today and not wanting to be alone I asked Lily to come.

We walked through the gates of the garden, my and Victor's mom in-front of us and Victor and the rest of the kids behind us. Lily munched on some gummies as she can never go anywhere without her snacks.

I blew out a breath as we were handed gloves, shovels, seeds, and other supplies that would help us plant. Somehow I've found myself doing a lot of environmental work this month.

After a couple hours of digging I got tired and took a seat at the tables near the refreshments stand. The hot sun hovered over me, not even the hat I was wearing could shield me from the harsh rays.

I scrolled on my phone as I fanned myself with the other hand. My movements ceased as I felt a dark shadow towering over me. I looked up and my breath hitched as I saw it was Victor.

He looked at me curiously and then sat down in front of me. I dropped my head and continued to scroll. His fingers drummed on the table creating a steady rhythm.

"Do you mind?" I asked, starting to get irritated by the thumping sound. He stopped immediately, placing his hand down out of my view.

"You're done with work already," I heard his smooth voice speak to me.

My eyes flicked up to him, surprised he was actually speaking to me. My eyes slid over to Lily who was busy talking to one of the workers in the yard area.

"Nah, I'm just taking a break," I said, placing my phone face down on the table. I sat up, placing my chin on my palm. "You?" I raised an eyebrow.

"Same," he replied, running a hand through his hair. Dark strands gracefully fell back down.

I nodded as we held eye contact, his grey eyes piercing mine. We sat calmly across from each other, the sound of the birds singing a little song and the soft thuds of the shovels.

Victor broke our lazy gaze and went to stand up. "I'm going to walk through the finished part of the garden." I nodded as he began to turn but then shot up and scurried around the table.

He turned to me, lifting an eyebrow. "I'll come with," I gulped, bearing him a smile. He shrugged and I followed him along the garden path.

We walked in silence until we reached the garden. We passed beautiful flowers in all shapes, sizes, and colors. I observed in awe at how perfect the scene looked.

Too busy in awe I accidentally bumped into someone. I didn't need to look up to know who it was. With a faint blush on my cheeks I offered a sorry and took a step back.

"I've never been to this park before," I said out loud. I've heard about these gardens but never got the chance to see them as my dad was allergic to flowers.

"I come here every year," Victor replied.

"Oh so you've helped plant most of the flowers here then."