Chapter 19

Now you're lost, lost in the heat of it all ~ Frank Ocean

Another week and a half, had gone by without seeing Victor. I found out he had been going to his soccer practices more often and that's why he wasn't home much.

I cracked another egg into the bowl and mixed it into the dry ingredients. Nicos birthday was tomorrow but he wanted brownies today. His mom already ordered all the sweets in the world but he still begged me to make him a batch.

I complied and said what the hell. Kendall didn't care if I made him some and it was the little guys special day tomorrow. Nico sat at the counter, with a dreamy smile on his face as he watched me mix the melted chocolate.

I could say this was my way of getting close with him. He can be a very cold and reserved little boy at first, but give him something sweet and he's yours.

I looked ahead at the tv, the loud house was playing in the background. "Niya?"

"Yes Nico?"

"When the brownies are done can I get the middle piece?" he peered into the bowl I was finished mixing.

"Of course you can, it is your brownies after all," I grinned. A happy smile spread on his lips and he turned around to watch his show.

I heard the front door open and a couple of footsteps head our way. I turned around to stick the pan in the oven. I set the timer once they were in and turned to clean my mess.

Victor stood across from me, chillingly watching me from where Nico was. He ruffled his hair as Nico wrapped his arms around his torso.

I was surprised to see Victor standing before me cool and composed. I continued cleaning up my mess, putting all the ingredients away. I could feel his eyes on the back of my neck as I moved.

"She's making me brownies," Nico said giddily to his brother. A small smirk made its way on my face as I cleaned.

"Oh, good both of you guys are here!" Kendall said as she waltzed into the room. I stood up straight when she walked in.

She turned to us to speak, but her eyes slid over to Nico distinctly. He sat there with his head resting on his hands, interested in the conversation. "Don't you have things to do?"

"Nope!" He tilted his head to the side.

"Well, go over there and finish your show," she said pointing a manicured nail over to the couch.

He groaned and hopped off the stool to where she pointed. Kendall and I giggled at his grumpy expression. My eyes flickered over to Victor and got caught at him still staring at me.

I looked away quick and awkwardly. "So," Kendall clapped her hands. "I have a favor for you guys."

I scooped the excess brownie mix out the bowl and licked the spoon. "What is it?" Victor jammed his hands in his pockets and turned to his mom, curious as well.

"Well as we all know Nicos birthday is tomorrow," she whispered, checking on him to see if he was listening. Like his mom told him to do, he was sitting on the couch too absorbed in his show.

"He's turn ten, you know double digits. So I wanted to do something really special this year."

I leaned in, intrigued on where she was going with this. "What I need for guys to do for me is take Nico and his friends to laser tag for a few hours. Then I want you to bring them all back here, make sure Nico comes in last."

"So you want us to babysit," Victor deadpanned. My eyes widened at his bluntness. Kendall hit him playfully on the arm, "don't say it like that. You're doing something nice for your baby brother."