Meeting

February 6th , 2010. Saturday. New York City, NY.

Sofía's pov (6 and a half years old):
I don't want to go out of the foster home, I wanna stay here reading the book I took yesterday from the library, it's abouts insects and it's really interesting, but Ms. Edith, my social worker, is making me go to a charity event, apparently I should socialize more. Right now is 12:30 pm and she should be here to pick me and another kid, Lucas, in about 15 minutes, otherwise we won't be in time. My current foster home is in Murrey Hill, and Ms. Edith told me the event was somewhere close to the Central Park Zoo, so I think is not that far away, maybe 20 minutes using the subway; I do around 15 minutes to the public library walking so it shouldn't be long to get there. 
I'm wearing my denim overalls with the red long sleeve shirt I got for christmas alongside the only jacket I have that still fits me cause right now it's cold outside, and for shoes I have some dirty white sneakers. I also have my backpack with my book and my fav stuffie, Marble, an orange stripped cat I got when I was 3, she goes everywhere with me. 

Ms. Edith finally arrived, with five other kids that she also takes care of, and I really did not want to go, by 5 minutes of being outside I was already annoyed, I wanna be alone, I don't like people and they also don't like me, that's why I barely talk, I don'ttrust them, no one gives me a reason to trust them, no one except Ms. Edith, but I also don't really talk to her, only when she asks questions I can't answer with gestures.
I'm in 1st grade, and I love the idea of school, I love learning, but I also don't like going there cause there is this group of older boys that bother me every single day, they say mean stuff to me about my curly hair, or my freckels, or darker skin or simply the fact that I don't have parents who love me. That's why I don't like people.

I snapped out of my thoughts only to realize that we are already here, and there's a looot of people and camaras for some reason, there is also a lot of noise, I can hear people screaming some names over and over. This place is closed and safe, so Ms. Edith said we can go explore and do the different actvities there are, I'm just going to find somewhere kinda quiet to sit and read.
I'm trying to find a place to sit but there is just to much people and I'm starting to freak out, and to make it worse I just crashed into some kids who screamed something at me, my knee is now bleeding, I can't see anything eslse but blurry stuff while I run as far as I can.

I'm sitting at the back of this place crying and hugging Marble trying to calm myself down. I see someone approching and sitting next to me, a blonde woman wearing something that looks pretty, but I don't know why she is here, I don't want her to.

~ Hey sweetie, are you okay? I saw you falling back there.~  she asked me. I just nodded and took my book out of my backpack to start reading, maybe she will leave if she sees i'm busy.
But she is not leaving, she is just sitting next to me, sometimes looking at my book, and it's like that for a good 15 minutes.

~ I'm Scarlett by the way, what's your name?~  I pointed at the name tag of my backpack "Sofía".

~ That's a very pretty name Sofía, and the book you got there looks very cool as well, what is it about?~  it took me a moment to think whether I should answer her or not.

~ In-insects.~  I answered! Very quietly and shy but I did for some weird reason.

~ I like insects, except cockroaches, those I hate.~  I just shrugged my shoulders.

~ Oh Sofía! Your knee is bleeding, would you like me to take you to get it cleaned? There has to a medical team somewhere in here, or we could go to the bathroom and I can clean it myself.~ Not gonna lie it hurts, but I dont want to move, I just want to stay here til it's time to go back to my foster home. I don't say or do anything for a couple of minutes, but I finally nod my head alongside saying a small ~ Yes ~

Scarlett stands up and waits while I put my book inside my backpack, and she gives me her hand to hold it, but I just stand there looking at the floor, so she just says to follow her, we are going to search for a medial team. While walking I don't look up, all I see are her shoes, she is wearing black boots. She stops to ask something at someone who was wearing blue sneakers, and then we keep walking ntil we stop infront of a table and some chairs.

~ Hi, good afternoon, she fell and scraped her knee and it's still bleeding a bit, could you gives us something to clean it up? ~ Scarlett asks a lady, and she gives her a little bottle and what looked like tissue, and a bandaid as well. ~ Thank you, come here Sofía she motions me to sit on a chair which I do. She starts puting some of the liquid in the bottle on my burns, and it burns ~ Oww ~ it doesn't feel nice.

~ I'm sorry sweetie, I know it stings but it needs to get cleaned otherwise it won't heal fast, but look we...are...done, I'm just gonna put the band aid on... and that's it. It wasn't that bad right? ~

I said no with my head ~ Thank you ~ I quietly told her, she didn't have to be nice to me, no one was ever nice so I'm still confused as to why she is.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

The rest of the time I spent there, like 2 more hours, I spent it with her, I didn't talk much at first but then I started reading and explaining my book to her. I really don't know why but she makes me feel kinda safe, it's weird but I like it. When Ms. Edith found me cause it was time to go, I didn't wnt to leave her cause I knew I would never see her again, but when we were saying our goodbye's she gave me one of her bracelets, she said that was borrowed, it wasn't hers so she would have to find me again to be able to give it back to the person who gave it to her, and that made me smile. I saw her talking with Ms. Edith while I was waiting with the other kids, I don't know about what tho. I hope what she said it's true, she is the first real person I want to see again, she is the first person I voluntarily decided to talk to, I still can't figure out why, but I know she is a genuenly nice person, she talked to me not because she had to or she got paid to, but because she wanted to, because she cared.

Kinda long first chapter lol, I have a concrete idea of where this ends up in but my ideas for every single chapter are all mixed up so I hope I do a good job writing it.
Hope you like this beggining <3.
Btw, in this story Scarlett's marriage with Ryan Raynolds either didn't happen or it ended in 2009, so as of this moment in the story Scarlett is single.