School

this is for anxiety_banana bc you seem to be having a bit of a tough day :( i hope this modern au i wrote for you can make it a bit better 🥰

"And you told him that yesterday?" Anakin whispered, glancing down at the screen of Ahsoka's phone as she held it beneath her desk. She slid her finger up slightly to further reveal the tiny print that said, read yesterday, while nodding her head.

"How long did he take to respond last time that you texted him?" Rex asked in the same hushed voice, closing his mouth quickly when the teacher sent a look in the trio's direction, his eyebrows raised.

"About an hour," Ahsoka answered, shutting her phone off and tucking it back into her pocket. "But it's two completely different topics; the last time I texted him it was about homework and this time it was about—"

"The date he's supposed to take you on," Anakin finished for her, shaking his head.

"Well, I don't know if we even had a date because he still hasn't answered me, and because I was stupid enough to not put it in my calendar," she reminded him. "I can't be mad at him for something that he didn't do. I thought we were supposed to go out last night, and I texted him to make sure. Clearly, when he never showed at the arcade, I figured that we weren't."

"Well, maybe you were," Rex added in. "He's done this before—forgotten."

"Forgotten? There's no way that four times were all accidents," Anakin muttered i'm agreement.

"I can hear your whispering, Skywalker," Mr. Windu said sternly, back facing them as he wrote on the whiteboard.

"Just helping Ahsoka with one of the problems," Anakin replied defensively. "That's why I'm here, remember? Top of my math class so I've got to help with the younger ones."

Ahsoka rolled her eyes. Anakin and Rex were both Seniors, and apparently the smartest students in their class. She'd met them on her first day after Anakin's girlfriend, Padmé, had found her crying in the bathroom, stressed and overwhelmed by everything about her new school. The rest was history—Padmé had invited her to sit with her and her friends at lunch and she'd almost instantly been adopted into their friend group (almost instantly, because Anakin had complained about having to hang out with a Freshman for a solid five minutes while Rex kicked him under the table, having noticed the dried tear streaks still on her face).

What had followed that had been numerous apologies from Anakin, as well as a very close friendship. When asked what class they'd like to help out in during their free period (the teachers were far too clever to let the infamous Skywalker and Fett have a whole hour with nothing to do), Anakin and Rex had both signed up for Ahsoka's math class, where they now did pretty much anything but math.

The time was more often used to complain about Ahsoka's boyfriend, Lux Bonteri.

"Snips you are miserable with him," Anakin said, a very frequently used saying of his when they were on this subject.

"I know," she sighed, burying her face in her hands while Rex reached over to rub her shoulder. "But he's all I've ever known, so I can't just dump him."

"Yes you can," Anakin and Rex replied in unison.

"Fine," she laughed softly, looking up and rubbing at her exhausted eyes with one hand while the other felt for her phone in her pocket. She handed it to Rex. "You do it then."

Anakin and Rex stared at one another for a few moments, blinking absently. Anakin shrugged. Rex nodded his head.

"Alright."

He removed his hand from her shoulder, Anakin's replacing it as he pulled her closer to his desk.

"Come here." She grinned and laid her head down on the surface in front of him, like she'd done for months since meeting him. She wasn't sure when this little routine had started between them, but she wasn't complaining. Not in the slightest.

He parted her thick hair in the middle, running his fingers through it for a little while before breaking half of it into three, equally sized sections. She felt him begin to crisscross each of the sections over one another, slowly forming a tight braid.

"Done," Rex announced quietly, placing the phone on top of Ahsoka's desk, face down.

"Maybe he'll actually answer this one," Anakin joked, scratching his short nails against her scalp, playfully.

Rex began to braid the other half of her hair, just as Anakin finished his.

"Fett!" Windu snapped, looking at Rex. "Hands to yourself."

Rex lifted his hands in surrender until the teacher turned back around, wrapping his calloused fingers back around the sections of Ahsoka's hair as soon as he knew he wouldn't be in trouble for it.

"Thanks guys," Ahsoka said, reaching up to pat Anakin teasingly on the cheek. He wrapped his own hand around hers, squeezing once.

"Anytime, Snips."

Sure, she didn't have a boyfriend anymore, but she had two brothers, and that was much better.

today i laid down in a box and my brother pretended it was a coffin and dragged me around the kitchen while singing the hogwarts march