imagine if dave filoni had a heart

i have a bunch of requests to write i'm so sorry i keep doing other things instead 😭 after i finish everything for sicktember i promise things will go back to normal

i'm kind of ignoring the s7 timeline a bit for this so just roll with it

Anakin closed the door behind himself, silently praying that Rex would succeed at making sure no one came in. He'd done it before and, hopefully, he would do it again. They were a bit more rushed than usual today.

He knelt down, placing the device carefully on the floor before turning it on, blue light flickering through the vast space before steadying into a cyan haze in the shape of a figure nearly a foot shorter than him.

"You're late again," Ahsoka said softly, the blurry background on her end of the call cluttered with spare parts. She must have been hiding in the storage closet of the repair shop she was currently working at.

Anakin closed his eyes, letting out a quiet sigh.

"Snips, I am so sorry. We didn't anticipate the Outer Rim sieges would last this long and then Rex and I had to sneak away again and—"

"No, it's okay," she interrupted, waving a hand. "I get it. If now isn't a good time, I can ask Trace to take a shift for me later."

"I'm not sure when I'll have any free time next. I'm sort of pushing it right now," he chuckled.

"Sounds about right," she laughed along with a roll of her eyes.

"Hey, how'd it work out with that engine that you couldn't get to start?" he asked, falling into their regular routine for these calls. They usually consisted of talks about work, anything exciting going on in each other's lives, or just a description of how the day had gone.

"You—and I hate saying this—were right," Ahsoka muttered. "It was all in the wiring."

"Why am I not surprised?" he said, crossing his arms over his chest.

"It's nice to know that you'll never change," she sighed, shaking her head.

"Oh, no. Never. Whenever you decide to come back—er—if you do," he corrected as she tensed slightly, "I'll still be everything you remember."

"You look tired," she pointed out, veering the conversation away from the topic of her coming back.

"I'm okay."

"Anakin."

"I'm sleeping, Ahsoka, I promise."

She cocked her head to the side, raising an eyebrow marking.

"How many hours?"

"Enough," he promised. "It's just the stress of... everything," he said, waving a hand in the air with a sigh. "It's a lot."

"Sorry," she whispered. "I just wanted to make sure you were—"

"—okay, I know. Believe me, I know the feeling."

She smiled shyly, looking down at her feet.

There were two loud taps on the door that echoed through the empty room, reverberating off of the walls. Anakin closed his eyes in frustration.

"What is it?" Ahsoka asked, montrals clearly picking up on the sound as well.

"Obi-Wan's coming," Anakin answered, looking over his shoulder, missing the way that her eyes narrowed slightly at the sound of his name. "I wish we had more time but Rex is keeping watch and you know he gets nervous."

"I would tell you to say hello for me but..."

"I know," he replied softly. "You aren't ready to talk to anyone else yet, it's okay."

She gave him a small smile.

"When will I be able to see you again?"

"Well," he began, scrunching his forehead in thought, "I think Yularen and I are supposed to be on traffic duty for a couple of days when we get back to Coruscant. You could... accidentally fly into military lanes," he suggested, waggling his eyebrows.

"And get myself arrested?" she exclaimed.

"I would never."

"Somehow, I don't believe you."

"I would not actually arrest you, but—"

"There it is."

"—but," he laughed, "I would have to take you on board for a bit to give you the all-clear."

She chewed on the inside of her cheek, taking a few moments to think the plan over.

"I just really don't want anyone else to know that I'm there."

Another pound on the door rang through the area. Anakin frantically whipped his head around, brushing the toe of his boot over the power switch, ready to turn the hologram off if anyone walked in.

"We can make it quick," he said in reply, hating that they had to end this so quickly. "I just want to see you—really see you."

"So do I," she said, smiling sadly. "I miss you so much."

"Me too," he whispered, taking a step closer.

Looking down, he watched as she tentatively extended a hand out to him.

"Love you," she said softly as he weaved his fingers between the translucent image of her own, looking up to meet his eyes. She'd gotten taller, but he had too. It was comforting to know that some things would never change.

"I love you too," he said, voice so low that it cracked.

"General!" Rex called loudly as light flooded the room, the door flying open just as Ahsoka's image disappeared.

Anakin turned around quickly, just as Obi-Wan entered behind his captain.

"You're a-all set, Rex," Anakin stammered, tossing his helmet back to him.

"Right," rex replied, his face bright red as he tucked it under his arm. "Thank you."

Anakin cleared his suddenly-tight throat.

"Yeah. Anytime."

aodoidifkekwkdjfkxkskdk i want to go homeeeee or shift to fictional home bc i can't go back to my real homeeeeee bc technically it's not my home anymoreeeee idk what this even issssssss okay goodnighttttttt