Mine

well hello there text to speech lady who keeps leaving and returning to my book 👋

The mornings when someone came home were always Ahsoka's favorite part of temple life. It seemed like they were spending less and less time there as the war progressed, and though she wasn't always there at the same time as her masters, there were moments like this to make up for it.

"You're back," she was whispering, over and over again, unable to keep the smile off of her face for any longer than a few seconds, and not particularly wanting to.

"I'm home," he was saying back, chin hooked over her shoulder while she clung on to him like a loth-kitten to its mother, only the tips of her sock-covered toes brushing against the cold, metal floor.

"Mhm," she hummed in agreement, nodding her head up and down twice, right montral flush against his cheek, letting the vibrations of her voice fade into a soft mix of a purr and a sigh.

"It's three in the morning, little one, did you know that?" he asked, hoisting her up once in order to get a better grip, and carrying her through the kitchen, kicking his boots off on the way into his room, letting them lie carelessly on the ground.

"I know," she said, nodding her head once again before turning it to rest her cheek against his shoulder, making use of it like it was a pillow.

"You know," he began, laying her carefully on top of the unmade bed, hand still beneath her back lek, "but you're awake anyways." There was a familiar set of blankets pulled up to her chin before his next words—one thick and black, with fringed edges, the thin gray one with a hole in the middle from when she'd accidentally chewed through it in her sleep during a nightmare on the night that he'd let her borrow it, and the last one, knitted by his mother, back on Tatooine. "Would you like to tell me what that's all about?"

"You already know, Master," she said, shrugging her shoulders. "I was waiting for you to come home."

The bed dipped beside her head, and the next thing she knew, her pillow had been replaced with his lap.

"And before I left, I told you to sleep through the whole night, remember?"

She did. But—

"Technically, it's morning."

"Stop that," he said, tugging lightly on her padawan beads. "No more snippiness, only sleep."

She pouted.

"I can't."

He traced the curve of her montral with a single, delicate finger, humming the tune to a song from sometime far away, a memory that came with the image of himself lying like this in Obi-Wan's lap, and his own master's gentle, calming voice over him whenever he wasn't able to sleep.

"There's nothing," he sang softly, lips hardly parting as he let his tongue get a feel for the words, trying to remember them all, "like doing nothing, with you."

Ahsoka trilled contentedly as his fingers brushed over the soft spot where the hard base of her montrals shifted into the fleshy appendage of a lek, the motion apparently comforting. So he did it again.

"Dumb conversations, we lose track of time," he whispered, letting muscle memory take over for the melody. And it suddenly hit him that he'd sung this for her before, way back in the beginning of her apprenticeship. Force, she had been so nervous, so insecure, so doubtful. 

And he'd known—knew—that it had been completely his fault. And so, just as a reminder, just in case he hadn't said it enough,

"Have I told you lately, I'm grateful you're mine?"

The tiniest twitch of her lips told him that she heard him.

"My padawan, my Ahsoka, my Snips," he sang to the tune of the song, completely forgetting the rest of the words. 

He liked his lyrics better.

His neck was going to hurt in the morning from sleeping like this, he knew, but he was not planning on moving, not even an inch.

everybody go on ao3 and read anxiety_banana's fic "Ashes, Ashes" (AB CHECK DISCORD NOW) while listening to Visiting Hours by ed sheeran and CRY. and while you're at it, read all of StormLilly's works too. and follow her on wattpad :D

my knees have completely given up on functioning and honestly i feel that but track practice is gonna be starting soon so now really isn't the time but go off i guess!