Panic Attack

i have *definitely* named a chapter this before but hey! new book means that i can do that i guess?

"I'm on my way," Anakin said into his comm, ending the call with Rex and rushing out of his quarters, hopping on one foot down the hall while he pulled his boots on.

He ignored the blinking light on his wrist, knowing that it was probably Rex again, but that he would see him face to face in mere moments.

"General!" called Fives, rushing out of Rex's quarters as Anakin rounded the corner. "It's the Commander, she just started shaking and—"

"I know, Rex called me. Is she still in there with the boys, or did you bring her to see Kix?" he asked, dodging past the ARC Trooper as soon as he gestured to Rex's door.

"Kix left the medbay to come and help," Rex said when Anakin entered the room.

"He's not supposed to do that," Anakin muttered, dropping to his knees in front of his padawan, nodding in greeting to the medic beside her, currently coaching her to take deep, long breaths.

"They said it was an emergency, Sir."

"It's alright," Anakin promised, nodding. "Just head back to your patients now. I can take care of this; I've dealt with it before. And thank you."

"Anakin?" Ahsoka asked as Kix gave them a solemn smile, pushing himself up off of the ground. He waved Fives and Rex out of the room with him, giving the two some privacy.

"Hey, I'm here," he said, scooting behind her and wrapping his arms around her middle to pull her up into his lap.

"My," she inhaled sharply, "my hands."

"What's wrong with them?" he asked, lengthening his breaths dramatically to try and subconsciously convince her to do the same.

"All... tingling... numb," she choked out, still hyperventilating. "I can't feel them, and my l-legs too."

"I know," Anakin whispered. "I know, you're having a panic attack."

Her breath hitched at that and she curled impossibly further in on herself.

"But it's going to be okay," he reassured her, squeezing his fingers through hers in an attempt to loosen her tightly fisted hands, applying the slightest bit of pressure during each of his inhales, and releasing it during the exhales.

"I feel... like I can't breathe," she cried, shaking her head.

"Hey, hey," Anakin said slowly, arching his head forward to tuck hers under his chin. "With me, ready? In... and out... in... out..."

She focused hard, her hands trembling in his as she breathed with him, waiting for the feeling of suffocation to leave her.

"You're okay," he said, lips pressed to her head, "you're safe."

"Can I stay... stay in your room tonight?"

He nodded.

"Of course. We can go and get your stuff right now. Are you able to walk?"

She hummed out a yes, nodding slowly.

"I... can do it."

"That's good, that's good," he replied, letting his hold loosen, giving her the chance to get some space if she needed it.

She crawled out of his lap, resting her head on his shoulder as they scooted back against Rex's bed.

"Do you know what triggered you?"

She shook her head, shrugging as she lifted the back of her hand to her face to wipe away the tears.

"I think I just miss the way that things used to be sometimes—before the war," she sniffed, "and I love our men, but... but whenever I'm hanging out with them after missions, it just reminds me of why they're here."

"Well, that makes a lot of sense," Anakin laughed sadly, rubbing his palm up and down her arm.

"But how about you? You told Kix that you've dealt with this before," she said, looking up at him.

"Ah." He met her glance, wanting more than anything to wipe the remaining tears from her eyes.

She raised the markings above her eyes, waiting for an answer.

"I... I got panic attacks sometimes when I first got here, uh, same reason as you. Just missing home."

"I thought that you hated Tatooine though."

"I hate a lot of things about Tatooine but... but it's still my past. And there were still good things about it."

"Well, that makes a lot of sense," Ahsoka imitated.

Anakin rolled his eyes.

"Alright, Snips," he pulled them both up off of the ground. "let's give Rex his room back."

"Okay," she said with a smile, wiping her nose one last time before they both exited through the door, both Rex and Fives waiting nervously outside in the hall for them.

"You alright, kid?" Rex asked, clapping her on the shoulder.

Ahsoka nodded.

"We're just gonna go turn in for the night," Anakin spoke for her, pulling his lips in a tight smile.

"That sounds like a good idea," Rex replied, nodding.

"Feel better, Ahsoka!" Fives called to them as they made their way down the hall to her quarters.

"Thank you," Ahsoka giggled, turning slightly to give him a little wave. "And thank you," she whispered up to Anakin.

"That's what I'm here for," he answered, grinning lopsidedly down at her.

happy friday! i've been to school for like a solid day and fifteen minutes this week bc i can't go in without having a panic attack woowoo (yes i'm projecting onto the chapters again 🤩). wish me luck for next week tho! 🤞🤞

hope you enjoyed, have a great weekend, and leave requests if ya have anyyyy