(6) Decision

28th June 1509

I was upon the boat a week later than I had planned, but ever since my attack, I had to rest. I was upon the boat with Gaston de Foix and Charles III of Bourbon. I slumped into gaston's arms as he wrapped them around me.

"How are you feeling now," he asked and I nodded,

"much better, but I still feel as though I am about to be sick," I said. His hand went to my stomach which startled me slightly as I watched his hand. he then looked me up and down before clearing his throat before he spoke.

" Why did you not say yes to the king's marriage proposal," he asked and I looked away from his hand and to his face. he was facing away from me but I still responded

"a king is a handsome man, caring, passionate and vibrant but I don't love the king. not yet at least but I am in love already, with another," I said as he turned to face me. I lay my head on his shoulder, and we remained in silence which was awkward but I wished it wasn't.

"it's not me is it," he asked as I pulled my head off of his shoulder and I turned away from him. he took my hands trying to peer around me to catch a glimpse at my face.

"I don't know" I responded and gaston looked rather calm and collected. he swiftly moved himself to sit on my other side so we were now face to face. I tried to turn my face but he latched onto my chin, forcing me to look at him. 

"you don't know if im standing in the way of you marrying I let you go. run free from me, Charles Brandon and anybody who brings you doubts" gaston said drawing me into his arms. he wasn't very affectionate but he has always been a good listener with even better advice.

"another game of cards," I asked after a few seconds of silence and gaston nodded dashing out to a deck from under the table.

"Just to warn you, I have never lost a game," gaston said placing his three cards down and he pushed all his counters into the middle.

"well, you just lost, um now" I cried placing all of my cards down and his face dropped. I then got my hand and drew all the money towards myself with a hearty grin.

"look at this, you have lost a game gaston, to a daughter of a himbo. like father like daughter, you are playing with a flimsy mistress " Charles of bourbon said and I looked away from him. he walked up behind my chair and lay his hands on my shoulder.

 "you lost to a whore" he spat out, so I stood up sharply and flung my fist at him, hitting him in the face. he gripped onto his nose as he went crashing to the floor as gaston gripped onto me by the waist. he dragged me into his little chamber and shoved me onto the bed. I fell onto the bed and looked up at him, he looked stunned but petrified.

"what do you think you're doing" he cried and I laughed hysterically at him

"he called me a whore, a flimsy mistress and my late father was himbo" I yelled out.

"so my sister has called you a whore before, on countless occasions and you didn't lash out then," gaston said but I interrupted him by standing up so we were face to face.

"but she has never said anything about my father, she may be a devil in our eyes but that man has pushed me over the edge by insulting my dear late father" I harshly spat through gritted teeth. I shoved him to the side and walked towards the door,

"When are we going to get there," I asked and gaston didn't shake

"in less than 2 hours, so go freshen up" he commanded before I left.

we had finally made it into my homeland and we headed to the king's residence the palace of Versailles. I jumped off my horse as the two other men did the same and we entered the castle.