46. The Storm Has Broken

Ellie squeezed Wynter's hand tightly as he led her through the halls of the palace. Her nervousness drifted across the Bond, growing stronger with every step they took towards the throne room. Wynter paused just outside the doors and drew Ellie close.

"I don't know what I'm going to do," she whispered. "He's still my uncle. He's still Mina, Micah, and Mitsi's father. I don't want to take that away from them, but..."

"Listen to me, Ellie." Wynter hooked a finger beneath her chin, lifting her gaze to his. "Ebner already took that away from them. He is not their father. Not in the ways that count. You are justified in whatever decision you make. Don't feel obligated to show him mercy just because of who he is."

She nodded slowly and Wynter pulled her into a brief embrace. He kissed her forehead, brushing his thumb over her scarred cheek. Ellie drew in a deep breath and stepped back. Wynter pushed one of the doors open. She strode into the throne room, chin raised and shoulders squared.

"Ellie!" Mitsi exclaimed. Cyrus set her down and she raced across the room. Ellie swept her up into a tight hug, a smile spreading across her lips. "Are you all right?"

"I'm fine," Ellie replied.

Mitsi stuck her lower lip out, touching the scar on her cheek. She studied Ellie's blind eye curiously. "It looks like the moon," Mitsi said. "Can you see stars?"

Ellie blinked rapidly. "No, I can't. Not with that eye."

"It's pretty." Mitsi hugged her again, before Ellie set her down. Mina and Micah approached next. Wynter remained near Mitsi, and the young girl slid her hand into his. "Ellie's very brave."

"Yes, she is," he agreed. "How's Bongo?"

"Missing a leg. Micah was mad at me and tore it off." Wynter frowned. "It's okay," Mitsi added swiftly. "Colette sewed the hole shut. She would have reattached his leg, but Micah threw it in the fireplace."

"Did Micah get in trouble?" Wynter asked.

Mitsi smiled mischievously. "Cyrus made him shovel snow off the street in front of the house and Colette gave him two baskets of laundry to fold all by himself."

"I see." Wynter brought his attention back to Ellie and her two cousins.

"Father did that to you?" Mina asked with wide eyes.

"Can you see this?" Micah waved his hand in front of Ellie's face.

"Micah," Ellie sighed. Mina smacked his hand.

"You could replace it like Lucien Vanserra did," Mina pointed out.

Ellie frowned. "I'd have to rip my eyeball out first. I'm partially blind, not immune to pain."

"Oh." Mina grimaced. "Maybe not, then."

"That's enough, Children," Colette said, shouldering past them. She hugged Ellie and kissed her cheek. "I'm glad you're safe, Dear." Cyrus appeared beside his wife and rested a hand on Ellie's shoulder.

Wynter tensed as someone touched his own. Kallias rubbed his temple with a sigh. "We're bringing up Donn and his supporters first. Ebner and Julian will come last. Those who fought with them will be facing imprisonment for the next two years. Their punishment was chosen by Lev, Cyrus, and Colette, as you requested. Mikael was going to stay, but something came up in the Dawn Court. He said make sure you invite him to the mating ceremony."

Wynter nodded with a grin. "Where's Mother?"

"Right here." Viviane fell in place beside Mitsi. She smiled, taking the girl's hand in her own. "How is Elodie doing?"