38. Words Like Knives

Wynter stared at himself in the mirror, stomach twisting with nervousness. He had no idea how the announcement ceremony was going to go. There were so many things that could go wrong. There could be outbursts against him and his parents. Julian and Ebner could show up and try to hurt Ellie or her cousins.

    His gaze fell to the four scars across his throat. His heartbeat quickened. Wynter began to rub his arms, counting as he drew steadying breaths. Ellie appeared beside him, dressed in a navy gown that matched his tunic. She lifted a hand to his cheek, turning his face towards hers.

    "What's wrong?" Ellie asked softly.

    "Nothing." Wynter closed his eyes, focusing on his breathing. "I'm just nervous." Ellie leaned her head against his shoulder, running her hand down his arm in silent comfort. "We should go," he said at last. "I can't be late."

    "Colette, Cyrus, Alastair, and the children already left," Ellie replied. "I'll find them once we get there." She raised herself onto the tips of her toes and pressed a light kiss to his cheek. "It will be all right, Wyn."

    "I hope so," he sighed. He wrapped an arm around her shoulders, winnowing them to the palace.

    Wynter paused in the courtyard just long enough to help Ellie find Cyrus and Colette, before winnowing himself inside the palace. Kallias and Viviane were already waiting in the foyer. "There you are. I thought you might've changed your mind," Kallias said.

    Wynter shook his head wordlessly. His father stepped outside to begin the ceremony. Wynter offered an arm to his mother. Viviane watched him, concern shining in her blue eyes. "Are you all right, Darling?"

    Wynter forced a smile onto his lips and nodded, but couldn't bring himself to speak. He hoped Viviane wouldn't notice the slight tremble in his limbs. He hadn't been in public like this since before his kidnapping. He'd never liked being on display, and that aversion had only grown after the insults and malcontent began.

    The doors of the palace opened, revealing Kallias and dozens of cheering people. Wynter swallowed, leading his mother outside. The cheers seemed a little less enthusiastic at his appearance. Viviane let go of Wynter and took Kallias' arm as they reached him. Wynter clasped his hands behind his back, letting his gaze sweep over the crowd.

    He spotted Ellie near the front. Colette had a firm hand on Micah's shoulder. Mina stood next to them, along with Alastair. Mitsi sat atop Cyrus' shoulders, waving with a brilliant smile. Wynter's lips tilted up. His father was talking again, but Wynter was only partially aware of what he was saying.

    He continued to survey the crowd, keeping an eye out for anything unusual. Most of the faces there were happy, but a few watched him with open disgust. He saw no sign of Ebner or Julian. Guards drifted amongst the people, undoubtedly on the lookout for the males as well. Wynter found Ellie again. She was facing Mitsi while the child leaned down, whispering something to her.

    Movement towards the back of the crowd caught his attention. Wynter stiffened, recognizing the approaching males. Ebner and Julian shoved their way towards the front, surrounded by at least ten other males. Wynter tugged on the Bond, catching Ellie's attention. He subtly tilted his chin in the males' direction. Ellie spotted them and grabbed Cyrus' arm. At once, the small party melted back into the crowd, keeping out of sight of Ebner and Julian.

    The guards had seen the males too. They were closing in on the group, hands falling to their swords. "A marvelous occasion!" Julian Frazier called, interrupting Kallias. Two shields fell in place over Viviane, one created by Wynter, and the other, his father. "A new child. A new future. A new..." His cold black eyes found Wynter. "A new Heir."