14. Resolutions

Wynter hurried from one window to the next, flinging open the drapes as he went. He counted each window as he left it. Already, he was at fifteen. He wondered if he was in the lead. Ellie was making good progress too, although she'd tripped over her skirt a few times in her rush.

Wynter had paused long enough for her to recover herself before opening more windows. Ellie finally lifted her skirts and knotted them so that they hung just below her knees. He had almost offered to ask the house to conjure her a pair of pants and a shirt, but he wondered if she would be uncomfortable in such clothing, considering he'd only ever seen her wear dresses.

"What are you doing?" Mitsi asked, appearing at the entrance of the hallway. Bongo dangled from her little hand.

"Racing," Wynter replied. "We're seeing who can open the most drapes."

"I'm winning!" Ellie laughed.

"Can I help?" Mitsi asked.

"Sure."

Wynter kept opening drapes, expecting Mitsi to join Ellie. To his surprise, she ran right to him. "Ellie is winning, so I'll help you," Mitsi giggled. "Can I?"

"Of course," Wynter replied. He took hold of one drape while Mitsi grabbed the other side. They pulled them apart and moved to the next window.

"We're going to beat you, Ellie!" Mitsi cackled. She stuffed Bongo through the sash on her dress and let the poor fox swing by his neck while she opened drapes.

The more drapes they opened, the closer they got to Ellie. Finally, there was only one window left. Mitsi and Wynter tugged that one open just before Ellie finished with hers. "How many did you get?" Wynter asked.

"Twenty-eight," Ellie replied.

"Twenty-two. You win," he chuckled. Mitsi stuck her lower lip out. Wynter crouched in front of her. "Don't tell anyone, but I think she cheated," he whispered, shooting a sly glance at Ellie.

Ellie planted her hands on her hips. "How dare you insinuate such a thing?" She laughed.

"I think Bongo was helping her." Mitsi took the fox out of her sash. "He was slowing me down. Naughty Bongo."

"Very naughty," Wynter agreed. "I must be too nice to him. Maybe he needs to go home with you again."

"I think so," Mitsi agreed. "I told him he had to behave, but he doesn't like to listen."

"Maybe he misbehaved because he missed you."

"Maybe." Mitsi cuddled Bongo close to her chest.

Wynter sat down, resting his head against the wall. He gazed at the paintings, now illuminated by sunlight. He could see marks of the artists' individual brushstrokes. He'd never noticed them before. Ellie sat down beside him, crossing her legs and situating her skirt over them.

He glanced at her with a smile. "What activity are you choosing, since you won?"

"I think I'll show you how I dry flowers," Ellie replied. "And you can have Colette decorate with them."

"Or you could," he offered.

Ellie raised an eyebrow. "You'd trust me to decorate your house?"

"More than I'd trust myself or Cyrus."

She leaned forward with a giggle. A lock of dark hair fell free from her braid. Wynter almost reached over to brush it aside. He would have, if Mitsi hadn't clambered onto his lap. Wynter jumped, caught off guard. Ellie began to protest, but he shook his head. She fell silent.