39. The Only Way

Elodie scrambled away from Wynter, running across the room towards the balcony. Those doors were locked as well. She banged her fists against the glass, but Wynter's shield held strong. Elodie whirled, coming face to face with him. Her heart raced with fear, though she tried desperately to staunch it. This was Wynter. She knew him. She shouldn't be afraid of him. But...

There was no trace of the male she had come to know in his face. There was only fear and anger in his blue eyes. No recognition. Elodie stared at him. Stared beyond him. She was trapped between him and the balcony doors. Wynter's jaw twitched as he glared at her.

"Wynter, it's me," she said, but he showed no signs of hearing her. "It's me! It's Elodie!"

She gasped as his hand closed around her throat. His icy grip scalded her skin. Elodie bit back an agonized scream. Tears flooded her vision. "I am done with your tricks!" He snarled. "I am done with your lies. You're dead. Why won't you stay dead? Why won't you leave me alone? Take off that face. It's not yours!"

"Wynter..." Elodie gagged as he increased the pressure on her throat. Her hands flew to his. "Wyn!"

Muffled voices came from outside the room, but Wynter's shield kept Cyrus and Colette from entering. "She is mine!" Wynter growled. "And you will not take her from me. She is mine. Mine!"

"Wynter, it's me." Elodie clawed at his hands, panting for breath. "It's me. Please, it's me!" She retched as he slammed her head against the door. "Whatever you're seeing, it isn't real!" She could hardly form the words. "It's not real. Melantha is...gone, Wyn. She's gone. I'm...I'm here. Please, stop. It's me."

His eyes were rimmed with silver. "Why can't I escape you?" His tears froze as they fell onto his skin. "In my dreams. When I'm awake. In my memories. Why won't you just leave me alone? You're dead! I know you're dead! Just leave me alone!"

"Wynter..." Elodie's feet dangled off the floor. Her back was pressed against the glass door. Her chest grew tighter with lack of air. "Wyn..."

She couldn't think through the fog panic that engulfed her. Darkness lurked in the corners of her mind. She had to do something. She had to make him realize that she wasn't Melantha. That he was free and she was real.

"Haven't you stolen enough from me? Why can't you just leave me alone?" Wynter sobbed.

"Wyn...it's me." Her grip on his hands slackened. "It's Ellie...your..." Her vision blurred. "Mate..." Wynter blinked. Her surroundings were growing dim. That tether in her chest was drawn taut. Beginning to crack. She knew what that meant. "I forgive you." Her voice was barely audible. "I love...you." Elodie managed to stroke the Bond before darkness swept in, invading her mind entirely.

Before it could steal her away, she hit the ground coughing. The darkness receded as Elodie sucked air into her lungs. She retched, rubbing the frozen skin on her throat. She pushed herself up on shaking limbs. Wynter was on his knees, staring at his trembling hands with unmasked horror. He lifted his gaze to hers.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry, Ellie. I...I thought you were..." He doubled over, sobs wracking his body. "I'm sorry. I'm sorry. I'm so sorry."

"Wyn..." Her voice broke. Elodie reached for him instead.

Wynter scrambled back, throwing a shield around himself. "Get out. Please. You have to go." Elodie shook her head. "I almost killed you!" Wynter screamed. "Get out! Now! Please... I'm sorry."

The door burst open, revealing a wide eyed Cyrus and Colette. Colette fell at her side, lifting her fingers to Elodie's throat. "What happened?"