27. Vague Speculations

Cyrus led Wynter into a wam kitchen. Colette sat at the table. She lifted her chin proudly, though her eyes shone with relief at the sight of him. Cyrus sat down beside his wife and motioned for Wynter to take a seat.

    "I'm sorry," Wynter said. "I shouldn't have dismissed you two, especially without an explanation. You've both been there for me my entire life. You don't deserve the way I've treated you."

    "You can explain your actions now," Colette replied. Her tone was firm, but not unkind.

    Wynter sighed, rubbing his arm with one hand. "I overheard two people talking in the streets. They said my mother was pregnant." Cyrus and Colette tensed. "I went to the palace and demanded answers. Things...didn't go well. I told Mother and Father that they were giving the people exactly what they wanted. Someone to replace me with. Father said that while he won't replace me as his son, he will replace me as Heir, if that's what it takes to keep the Court standing."

    "I was furious and hurt and scared, and Father told me that the two of you already knew." Wynter stared at his boots, unable to meet their gazes. "I wasn't thinking rationally. I felt betrayed, so I sent you away. I told the guards to keep you away. Keep my parents away. Keep Ellie away. I let myself go. I thought no one wanted or needed me anymore. I couldn't make myself think things through. Thankfully, something happened that made me come to my senses."

    "What?" Cyrus urged.

    "And I'm sorry," Wynter continued, not answering the question. "I'm sorry I took my anger out on you. I'm sorry I sent you away without any explanation. I'm sorry I treated you so horribly."

    Colette reached out, touching his hand gently. "Apology accepted, Wyn." Cyrus nodded his agreement. "Have you spoken to your parents?"

    "No. I'm not ready to yet. I...I still need to think things over."

    "Ellie came by earlier. She left a letter for Viviane," Cyrus said. "She asked us not to say anything to your parents, if you came by to talk to us. Ellie said whatever you had to tell them needed to come from you alone." Wynter felt a rush of gratefulness towards Ellie. "Is there something else you need to tell us?"

    "You're welcome to take your old jobs back, if you want them."

    Colette squeezed his hand. "We'd love to, but you know that's not what Cyrus is asking."

    Wynter drew in a steadying breath. "If you could come to the house today, I'd appreciate it. I don't think I should be alone for the next couple of days. And," he glanced at Cyrus, "I need the guards to understand that they should keep a healthy distance between themselves and Ellie." Cyrus nodded. "That includes you."

    The male narrowed his eyes, confusion settling in his features. "May I ask why?"

    Wynter's gaze flickered to Colette. He saw only understanding in her eyes. "Things are changing between us," Wynter answered vaguely. "I don't want to hurt anyone over a misunderstanding, and I know I won't be thinking clearly when it comes to her."

    "All right." Cyrus stood and touched his shoulder briefly.

    "Where are you going?" Colette asked as he headed towards the stairs.

    Cyrus flashed her a smirk. "To get ready for work." He vanished from sight.

    Colette chuckled, turning back to Wynter. "Viviane told me the day she found out she was pregnant. She asked us not to tell you, because she wanted to tell you herself. She wanted to tell you when you felt comfortable around her, so that the two of you could be doing something together. She wanted to tell you without Kallias, and ease your fears herself. She knew how you were going to feel. All she wants is for you to feel safe, and happy, and excited."