12. Companionship

"You know, the house would be a lot brighter if you opened the drapes," Ellie said, wandering down a long corridor. Wynter referred to it as the gallery. Paintings lined one wall, and dozens of windows filled its opposite. Ellie clasped her hands behind her back and spun, lifting her gaze to the ceiling.

    "The darkness feels safe," Wynter replied.

    "After Mikael brought me to the Dawn Court, I listened while Venelia explained more of what happened," Ellie said. She drifted to his side and hovered close, but not uncomfortably so.

    Wynter glanced at her from the corner of his eye. Only the top of her dark head was visible to him. It was level with his shoulder. He smiled to himself. Ellie's gaze flickered to his. She smiled and tweaked his nose with the tip of her finger. A moment later, her cheeks flushed and she lowered her head.

    "What did she tell you?" Wynter asked.

    "She told us about the cavern you were held in. The food and water you were given. The chains and..." she hesitated, "collars." Wynter touched a hand to his neck, swallowing. "She told us how you would stay in the darkest corner of the cavern, and how you were the only one unchained."

    "At first," he corrected. "I wasn't chained at first. After Venelia was released..." Wynter began rubbing his arms. "I was Her pet. In all aspects."

    His cheeks burned with shame as he recalled all that he'd done at Melantha's behest. He'd returned to the cavern only partially clothed, reeking of what she'd forced him to do and feel. She'd led him around in chains and a collar. She paraded him before her corpses and his fellow prisoners, completely naked. She'd made him beg, and plead, and... And it was never enough. It was never enough for her.

    She came up with so many ways to humiliate and torture him. Physically and mentally. She'd played games with his mind. She'd played games with his body. She carved up his skin until he begged her to stop. She'd made him serve her until they were both sweating and limp. He'd resisted in every way that he could, but when it truly mattered, he had no control. None at all.

    "Wyn?" A warm hand touched his.

    Wynter blinked and drew in a shaking breath. "I'm here."

    "But you weren't for a little while. Are you all right?"

    "Memories," he murmured. "When they surface, they have a tendency to drown me." He kept rubbing his arms.

    Ellie gripped his hand and he met her gaze. "When you are drowning, you must open your eyes and look for the light. It will guide you to the surface." Wynter studied her features intently as she continued, "You are free, Wyn. You are safe. You don't have to hide anymore, especially not in your own home."

    She pulled away and before he realized what she was planning, Ellie reached the nearest window and flung the drapes open. Wynter stared at her, lips parted in surprise. She tilted her head back, a smile gracing her round red lips. A heartbeat later, she winced and straightened once more.

    Ellie looked over her shoulder, then lifted a hand to her mouth. A nervous, almost fearful, look filled her crystal eyes. She faced him fully, her cheeks rosy with embarrassment. Wynter's breath caught. There was a faint tug in his chest and his blood hummed with its energy. He did his best to ignore the feeling, keeping his focus on Ellie.

    He'd never seen her looking more beautiful. Sunlight cascaded over her dark hair, tinging it with copper tones. Her pale skin was kissed by golden rays. That nervous look still reflected in the depths of her blue eyes, which sparkled more brilliantly than any jewel. Ellie turned abruptly and reached for the drapes.