21. Rumors of Truth

Elodie eyed the banister warily, shaking her head. "I don't know, Wyn."

    "If you can handle an Ursa stallion, you can handle a stair rail," Wynter chuckled.

    "You're the one who handles Bruma. I just sit on him."

    "Fair. That was a bad analogy."

    Wynter pursed his lips thoughtfully, his nose wrinkling. Elodie grinned, tapping the tip of it with her finger. Wynter blinked, but didn't jump or appear unsettled. He smiled and she lowered her gaze, cheeks burning.

    She'd spent every hour that she could at the townhouse since Wynter returned from the Dawn Court. Her rose was already drying at home. She had left it alone for two days, until she became worried that it might rot before she could dry it.

    Every time she looked at the flower, she felt an inexplicable tightness in her chest. It wasn't painful. Quite the opposite, in fact. She couldn't make sense of it. Even more confusing was the fact that the same tightness emerged whenever she looked at Wynter.

    "All right. I have a better one," Wynter said, interrupting her thoughts. Elodie waited expectantly. "If I can hold a baby, you can slide down a banister."

    "How are those things at all related?" Elodie laughed.

    "You have no idea how terrifying holding a baby is."

    "Babies aren't terrifying."

    "They are if they aren't your own."

    Elodie inclined her head. "I suppose I understand the sentiment."

    "So?" Wynter jerked his chin towards the banister.

    "You first." Elodie ducked behind him. "I'd rather know you're ready to catch me if I fall off."

    "I can winnow, Ellie. I could catch you even if I went after you."

    Elodie rolled her eyes as he glanced back at her. "I want to see that you're ready for me."

    "All right."

    He shook his head, laughing. Wynter drew hair out of his face, tying it at the nape of his neck. He hopped onto the railing with practiced ease and slid down, jumping off at the last minute in a flawless landing. Elodie sighed and sat on the rail. Her eyes widened, realizing how far down the floor was. She gripped the rail tightly, already slipping forward.

    "It's all right. You can do it," Wynter called.

    Elodie gritted her teeth, forcing herself to let go of the rail. She shrieked as she flew down it, tipping backwards. She didn't fall off until she'd almost reached the bottom. Wynter caught her by the waist with one arm, while her legs still dangled over the banister.

    "Remember what I said about leaning the way you're sliding?" He chuckled.

    Elodie swatted at his chest, huffing indignantly. "You said it once. It must've slipped my mind."

    "Do you want to try again? I'll remind you more than once this time." He flashed a mischievous grin as he tugged her off the rail and set her feet firmly on the floor.

    "If I try again, you..." Elodie braced her hands on her hips, thinking. "You have to let me braid your hair."

    "Braid my hair?" Wynter arched an eyebrow.

    "Yes."

    "Can't you think of another condition?"

    "No." Elodie crossed her arms.