42. One Step at a Time

"I have to go," Wynter rasped, pacing across his room. "I have to. I can't leave Ellie to their mercy. Do you know what they've done to her? What they've threatened to do? What they could be doing to her right now?" He rubbed his forehead, fear and instincts clouding his mind.

    "No," Mikael protested. "This is a trap. They want you to come alone. If you comply, they'll kill you both. Besides, it'd be stupid to go out in this storm." He gestured towards the balcony doors. Snow billowed beyond them, accompanied by howling winds.

    "What do you suggest?" Wynter asked. "They made their demands clear. The longer I wait, the more time they have to hurt her."

    Mikael's gaze softened and he touched Wynter's shoulder gently. "I know how you feel, Wyn. Believe me, I do. How do you think I felt when Melantha kidnapped Estelle, and when I found out about the baby? How do you think I felt when I heard you had been kidnapped? When Venelia was?"

    Wynter closed his eyes with a slow nod. "You can't go after her now, but you have time to prepare. You can't go alone. You need find people who will support you. Your parents. Cyrus and Colette. Me." Wynter nodded again before Mikael added, " And people who will support Ellie. People who will want to protect her."

    Slowly, the shadow of an idea began to take form. Wynter met Mikael's gaze. "I might be gone for a while," he said.

    "Is there anything I can do?" Mikael asked.

    Wynter shook his head. "Not yet, unless you want to speak to Cyrus and Colette about helping us. If you leave though, you should just stay with them until the storm passes."

    "All right. I'll go. Someone needs to tell them what happened to Ellie anyway." Mikael gripped his shoulder once more. "Don't do anything stupid, Wyn. I watched Ellie hack the head off a corpse. I'd rather not be her next target. It would be far too painful and take far too long."

    A smile tugged at Wynter's lips. "I won't." Mikael released him and he winnowed out of the house.

    He arrived just outside of Miss Fichley's Pottery Emporium. Wynter approached the door and knocked. Several minutes passed before the door opened. "We're clos..." Lev Baird began. He broke off, eyes widening as he realized who was at the door. "Wynter? What are you doing here?"

    "I'm here to ask for your help," Wynter replied. "On Ellie's behalf."

    "What's going on?" A pretty white haired female appeared beside Lev. She lifted her hand to her mouth, bowing her head at once. "Sire, I..."

    "Wynter is fine," he interrupted. "I'm sorry to come by so late, but this is important." He fixed his gaze on Lev.

    "Come in," Lev offered, opening the door further. Wynter stepped inside and with half a thought, dissipated the snow that clung to him.

    "Can I get you anything?" The female asked.

    Wynter shook his head and remained standing, even as she and Lev sat. He assumed the female was the former Miss Fichley, now Mrs. Baird, judging by the wedding bands they wore. It seemed to be an increasingly popular custom in the Courts as well as the Mortal Lands now.

    "Ellie was kidnapped by Ebner Rohese and Julian Frazier," he explained. "They are demanding my life in exchange for hers."

    "Ellie?" The young female raised a questioning eyebrow.

    "Wynter's..." Lev hesitated, glancing at him. Wynter dipped his chin. "Mate. Elodie Rohese."

    "She must be related to the Ebner you mentioned then."