Chapter 23

Mild sat up shocked. "Wait Assa is dead? When? How? She was here just now. She came with me here just now why is she dead?"

"She was found in the woods." River explained and Oket slumbed down and started sobbing. They were close friends and her death was unexpected. She wasn't sick and she wasn't problematic. So how could she just die in light of the day?

Mild smelt foul play. He looked at Mew and said, "this is your mess. I don't know what's happening right now but it's your mess. I'll keep Gulf safe."

The two patrons wondered who was giving orders to whom? Because they've never heard anyone interact with the Leader like that. The guy was an Alpha in line so it was a first.

Just then, some more nurses and a doctor came out of the operating room pushing the unconscious human on the bed. They wheeled it to a private room and Mild followed them. There were a lot of empty rooms. This was the first serious case they'd received and they had done their best. It was a pack hospital where they administered wolf medicine. Most of the times wolves healed by their own because they were wolves and the doctors knew this human's healing was going to take forever.

Meanwhile, Jules had gone to the council chambers with the news of Mew's mate but was surprised when he saw the council members already gathered in the chambers.

The elder was seated on his king seat and Alpha J was seated on his Alpha seat.

"I was about to send someone for you Jules. Take a seat we have an emergency meeting." Alpha J said whilst everyone settled down.

Did they know already? Jules wondered taking a seat on the left side of Alpha.

He looked around trying to figure out what this was about.

"A member of the junior council was found dead in the woods next to the pack hospital." The elder started and Jules caught a movement on his right. He looked with a corner of his eyes and tilted his head in suspicion. Something fishy was surely going on.

"I'll be in charge of the investigation." Alpha offered without wasting a minute.

"And me too." Jules offered too wanting to find out what was really happening.

"I'll leave you to it. Will two weeks be enough? We need to know who is behind this unexpected attack. Do we really have an enemy in our pack?" Elder finished and as soon as he was done,

"No I'll be in charge of that investigation." Mew said coming in the chambers.

"Leader!" The senior elder did not appreciate the interruption.

"Greetings elder." Mew still paid his respect "greetings seniors." He bowed to the alpha without a word and then proceeded to get closer.

"With all due respect, this was a member of the junior council and as such I believe we are more than obligated to take this case."

Some seniors nodded in agreement. They were more than thankful because it's less trouble on their hands.

But alpha J did not like the idea of Mew investigating this case. So he tried to sabotage his chances.

"Your link is still not open. How can you lead an investigation?" Alpha J questioned and it had the senior council murmuring. He was trying to get him in trouble.

"Wait a minute Alpha. What is that supposed to mean?" One Senior asked.

"His link hasn't been functioning properly as it ought to." Alpha J replied with no hesitation, staring back at Mew's glaring eyes.

"How does a leader's link fail to function? What about your knights? How do you communicate with them?" Another senior asked perturbed.

"His beta is being the leader right now." Alpha J was determined to mess this for Mew.

"Preposterous!!!" One senior shouted. "This has never been heard off before."

"How can we have an alpha without a link?"

"Does it mean he doesn't trust his pack?"

"Shouldn't we have heard of this earlier?"

The seniors were throwing questions around. Confused by the news. The senior elder slowly blinked as the rest of the members murmured to each other. Then asked,

"Have you found your soulmate?" That got everyone silent.

Everyone knew he had found a mate. Everyone knew he had a child with his mate. That's why it was even more confusing when the question was asked again.

Mew got scared. His tongue got stuck. He couldn't answer it and there were people willing to answer this for him. However they had to be careful. Because answering yes was going to bring up a ceremony. And this was a serious ceremony that didn't warrant any deception. You have to present your mate to the whole pack and receive Luna goddess blessings during the ceremony. Not only that, you renew your mating mark before pack to seal the deal.

The prolonged  silence was annoying Jules who had found the truth about Mew's complicated relationships.

"Yes he has found his mate." Jules answered thinking should he reveal the truth about his actual mate?

Alpha J cleared his throat annoyed by Jules' response.

"He has a mate but they've just lost a child. Let's give them enough time to grieve before we can bring up the ceremony." Alpha J answered in his stead.

"Alpha, you know better that the ceremony should be held as soon as alpha blood meets their mate." That was tradition.

"I know elder."

"Because this is why his link is not working. He has to have harmony with himself. Then he has to have harmony with his mate so that his link can be open. There is a dire need for communication with one self. To accept yourself and the creature you are and then accept your mate and communicate with them. That's the only way for you link to start working again."

Jules smirked. How was ever going to accept himself when Luna goddess had given him a male mate? He thought.

"We'll still give them time to grieve their son. We'll talk about that again. For now the alpha with lead the investigation on the patron's death." Elder finished.

Mew was dismissed and he left but bumped into Luke on his way out. Something was off with him.

"Why didn't you tell them the truth?" He questioned under his breath.

"Commander are you ok?" Mew was worried. He hadn't seen him in a while.

"Why didn't you tell them about Gulf?" He was acting like an emotional drunk person.

"Luke. We can't have this conversation here. The seniors are inside." Mew pointed out.

"That's why I'm going to do it because everyone is suffering. We just need to come clean so we can get the answers we need and be free from all this mess."

"What is happening? Tell me what's wrong."

Luke's eyes welled with tears. "My mate.." he said as tears ran down his pale cheeks.

"My mate is also a ma-

Mew held Luke's mouth before he could finish his sentence. He knew what he was about to say. He dragged Luke away from the council chambers and they went to his house hoping no one follows them because he was sure the council had listened to their conversation.