Chapter 20

Gulf got the baby again on the sixth day of his stay at Bittè. He examined the baby and he smiled for the first time just watching him wiggling about in his arms. When he got tired he started sucking his fingers. He looked ok. He didn't have any bruise or injuries on his body. That was good enough.

He remembered talking to Vin the night before.

"I'm letting you go." Vin announced boldly as if it was something Gulf should be happy about.

"You don't look happy?" Vin noticed lack of reaction from Gulf.

"Because it's tiring." Gulf responded. "Why take me away if you were going to return me?"

"I know it's so confusing. The more reason why I need you to go back."

"So I can confuse them?"

"And you think my life will be spared if I return?" Gulf questioned Vin's logic.

"Well if you return with the baby it surely will be spared." Vin reasoned.

"You don't know what I went through in that place!" The emotions in Gulf's voice was just too heavy.

"I do Gulf." Vin said so softly that Gulf started tearing up. "That's the more reason why I can't lay my hands on you. Because you've been through hell. But I need you to be strong and make it until the end. Who knew Oaklagen was going to have a male Luna? I need you to go back and stand your grounds."

"I'm afraid of being killed every single day Vin. My death verdict hangs on the mouth of the alpha and you want me to stand my grounds? With what audacity? I live as if I don't exist in that village."

"You have to change it."

"With all due respect –

-You can drop all the respect with me and let's get real. The Luna goddess surely had a reason for gifting Mew a male human. You have to free that pack from the frightening traditions. We're in the twenty first century and they still won't budge. Believe it or not a lot of people have male mates in that pack but they choose to run away from their mates so they can live."

"Why should that be my responsibility?"

"Because you're a Luna. A male human Luna. That's why it is your responsibility."

"I didn't ask for this. I never asked for this."

"No one asks to be born. And no wolf surely ask the Luna goddess for a comfortable life but it is what it is. Really think about it. And how many lives you're going to save if you decide to own your place at Oaklagen."

Gulf was speechless.

"We'll leave tomorrow morning for no man's land."

Gulf thought about it all night. Bittè was calling a truce from the ongoing battles between the two packs and Vin was using Gulf's life for that. This was not it.

It didn't seem right and Gulf was not brave enough.

Going home was the first step but who was going to look at him kindly? Because being caught by the enemy twice and getting released was going to surely look suspicious. But Gulf had to go.

Now here he was with the baby in his arms ready to go back home. He hadn't been able to see him back at Oaklagen. Now after his inspection, he noticed he got lots of Mew's features. But still he could tell it was Becky's baby. He chuckled emotionally when the baby stared at him and made some babbling sounds as if greeting him. He was so cute. So adorable.

"Let's go." The sweet exchange was broken by Vin's Beta, Xav. Vin had gone ahead to prepare the way.

They made it safely to the border and got in no man's land. Gulf couldn't call Mild but he couldn't summon him like he did the last time.