Chapter 15

His guard went up and he tried to his hide his mark. The following day Vin came to see him again and offered him a walk around.

Gulf went on a walk with Vin.

Vin was busy showing Gulf around when Gulf noticed how everyone greeted Vin. He was so friendly and he greeted everyone back by name.

They walked around and Gulf saw a lot of same sex couples showing affection and some pda which Vin applauded for.

As they walked deeper into the village, the atmosphere changed. Gulf felt chilly and the reason got revealed to him after a mile or two of walking.

The training grounds.

He saw an army of muscled males and females training. He shivered. It was intense.

He thought of the patrons and knights in Oaklagen. They would get defeated. No questions asked.

"I'm really glad we found you." Vin said as he looked at his people training hard. "We are planning an attack."

"Alpha Vin," Gulf called out as soon as he was noticed of the plan. 

"I have to go back."

"No you can't." Vin smiled but his words were firm. He wasn't phased at all by Gulf's request.

"I have to. I must go back."

Vin stopped walking and faced Gulf, "why did you run away in the first place?"

"It was hard for me to be there."

"Will it be better if you go back?" Vin asked.

"It might." Gulf knew he was being stupid but he had to go warn them. That this pack was no match for them. That they should train harder.

"Is it because of your mate?" Vin asked and Gulf stepped back frightened.

"The scent is weak but you're clearly mated to a wolf. I saw your mark when you were sleeping and it seem to be fading. It hasn't been renewed and it hasn't been cherished. It looks like a wound which goes to show how unwanted you are." He hit the nail.

"Please stop." Gulf didn't need anyone reminding him when he knew by heart how unwanted he was.

"I'm just trying to make you see reason. Whoever you're mated to does not want you. Isn't that the reason why you ran away?"

"That's also the reason why I need to go back." He argued.

"Were you not satisfied with what I showed you? You can live here and be free. You can be gay and find someone new and be happy."

It all seemed like a good idea. Gulf could see his future brighten. He hadn't been gay before being bitten but now he really wanted to try it. But his heart said no. No matter how much he felt tempted, his heart said no all the time. It was like an addictive drug. Even when you know it's bad for you, you still want to take it because it makes you feel good. That's how Mew was to Gulf. An addictive drug that was bad for him.

That's why he needed to go home. To get that addictive drug.

"When I can't take it anymore, I'll come." Gulf negotiated.

"Not how it works human." Vin said with a gentle smile. When he was called a human at Oaklagen it all seemed like a demeaning term but with Vin it was different. It sounded like the man was flirting with him and he didn't want him to stop.

"Releasing you back to Oaklagen is so risky but because you're a human this is an exception.  The next time I see you I'm not going to be this kind so please don't let me or my people see you again. Ever!!!"

That was a scary threat but Gulf still wanted to go.

"I understand," he said.

"This evening, I'll escort you back." Vin concluded their conversation.

"Thank you."

"Let's go back. Don't want you to be tired since you need to walk back home."

They went back to the alpha's quarters. "I'll be back so get some food you have a long journey ahead of you."

Gulf ate and got ready. A few hours later, it was getting dark and Vin and Gulf started for the woods. They walked silently and it was when they were in no man's land that Vin said,

"You can't go in the border straight away, you'll get killed. You smell like a Bittè person now. Can you link your mate?"

Gulf shook his head. "Is there anyone you can tell to come at the border and wait for you?"

Gulf linked Mild.

It was like a hunch when Mild received the link. They were sitting in Mew's house waiting. It had been 8 days since anyone saw Gulf and they didn't know where to look and what do so every time they were not on schedule, they gathered in Mew's house and took turns sighing. Luke and Mild waited for orders and Mew just waited.

Mild stood up after receiving Gulf's link, then Mew and Luke followed suit.

"The border"

"What?" Luke was confused.

"Let's go to the border." Mild sounded crazy.

"We've been there all day yesterday." Mew relaxed again and sat down.

"I just received a link." The beta shared.

Mew still didn't believe it. "Beta!!" He warned. This was not time for that.

"I'll go. He's coming through the southern border."

"For now let's go." Luke encouraged dreading a quarrel between the two. Mild was insulting his leader and it was a sore spot for Mew. He still hasn't opened his link. Luke looked at Mew, "there's no harm in checking leader, let's just go."

After a few minutes of internal debate, Mew got up and they ran out of the house towards the southern border.

As soon as they got there, the patrons on duty were startled seeing the trio there. It took 30 minutes of them pondering to realize why they were there.

They felt an intruder approaching and their wolves started jumping around.

"At ease." Luke instructed and they stood back in guard.

As soon as Gulf stepped in their border, Mild ran to him,

"Luna!!" He shouted excited. "Where have you been?"

Mew came running and engulfed him in the a hug.

"Luna," he whispered squeezing him in a desperate embrace.

Gulf felt goosebumps. He felt his body relax. The feeling of home. The feeling of safety. He let go and fainted right there.

Mew carried him home. He didn't leave his side the whole night.

When Gulf woke up the following day, he remembered what had happened.

He looked at Mew wanting to tell him about Bittè but he couldn't. The moment he opens his mouth Mew was going to go again. He wanted Mew to stay.

He wanted Mew next to him.

That's why he didn't say anything.

And as a result of Gulf's silence, Bittè was attacking them just when they were having a ceremony of accepting Mew's son as Alpha blood.