10- the paper people

Nora Farris Tuesday January 22, 2019─── ・ 。゚☆: *

Nora Farris
Tuesday January 22, 2019
─── ・ 。゚☆: *.☽ .* :☆゚. ───

chapter ten- the paper people

EZRA WAS WRONG. It was not fun. We'd been here all of three minutes and I was ready to shrivel up and die, in Ezra's defense, I felt like that most of the time.

I felt underdressed and uncomfortable in my own skin, worse than how it usually was. My jeans and cardigan outfit felt like pajamas in a room full of designer, diamonds and gold.

The room itself screamed luxury, there was a massive chandelier that was the same size as me and a grand piano with red solo cups and beer cans all over it, no coasters. I could only imagine how much that piano was. It was probably enough to pay my whole college tuition, and here it was being used as a beverage rest.

These people oozed privilege, they looked like they didn't know a day of struggle or stress, like everything was handed to them on a silver platter. This was Ezra's crowd, what did that say about him?

I was being to uptight and judgey, I know Ezra, I know Ezra is nothing like these people, he's different.

These people were paper, they only existed here and now, the paper people would lead successful lives, with unhappy marriages, in the suburbs, and have paper children, that would keep the cycle going. Sometimes I wanted to be a paper person.

Ezra looked down at me with a reassuring smile, our arms grazing each other as we walked through the billion dollar condo. He linked his pinky with mine, and I felt okay again.

After breakfast that morning, Ezra and I fell back asleep for a few hours then he left to get ready for therapy, I did the same.

Dr. V asked me about Ezra today. Dr. V asked me about Ezra today. Dr. V asked me about Ezra today.

Hearing her say his names, made my eyes widen, my back straighten, my mouth heavy, my heart flutter. Why would she ask about him? What's to know? Do they talk about me in his sessions?

It was driving me insane, slowly. What did they say about me? When Dr. V asked about him, I shrugged it off, trying to play it cool, but she knew. Of course she fucking knew, she got paid to pick up on things like that. My sideways glance, my lip chew I do when i'm nervous, the hair twirling. I had a shit poker face, my emotions could be read on my face like a book.

Ezra looked down at me again, I was frowning, I hadn't noticed. "That bad, huh?" he asks, still holding my pinky with his.

Before I answer, I am silenced by beckons and calls to Ezra. They hoot and holler as if the party just arrived. I try to replace my frown with a smile.

A group of paper people approached us, the smell of weed accompanying them. "Didn't think you'd make it out brother," A guy with unmemorable features says.