9. A Mother's Plea

Start from the beginning

    "What about that female you used to be interested in? Elodie Rohese?" Viviane asked. "Colette tells me she still seems to care for you. She visits frequently and writes you letters."

    "Not her, Mother."

    "Why not?"

    "Because she's...she..." Wynter drew his knees to his chest, resting his head atop them. "It's just better if I'm alone."

    "No, it's not. Look what has happened to you while you've been alone."

    "I'm fi..."

    "No, Wynter." Viviane shook her head firmly. "Do not say that you're fine. I know my son well enough to see when he is not fine. You aren't all right. You're struggling, and being alone is only making it worse. You need someone here to help you when you panic. When you wake up from a nightmare. When you're stuck in your memories and can't find your way out."

    Tears stung his closed eyes. Everything his mother was saying echoed his own thoughts, but how could he let people in now? He'd been trying so hard to push them away. He didn't deserve companionship. Friendship. No one deserved to be forced into his presence. He didn't...

    "Please, Wyn." He opened his eyes as Viviane rested her hand on the bed, close to his side. "Please. Let someone help you. Anyone. Don't let this continue. I'm..." She trailed off.

    "You're what?" Wynter urged.

    "I'm afraid that if this continues, you'll grow worse and worse until you decide you can't take it anymore. I don't want to lose my son forever."

    Wynter forced himself to meet her gaze. Viviane's once cheerful features were now pinched with concern and exhaustion. There were dark circles under her eyes, and a flat edge to her voice. She tucked a lock of snowy hair behind her ear, not breaking eye contact with him.

    Wynter cracked. "I'll think about it," he promised. "For you, Mother."

    She shook her head. "For you, Wynter. You've given enough of yourself for the sake of others. It's time to let us start giving back to you. It's time you do things that will benefit you. It's time to do the things you want. You are selfless, Wyn. It's one of your best qualities, but you need to know that it's okay to focus on yourself sometimes too."

    Viviane pulled her gaze from his and started towards the door. Wynter hesitated, then called, "Mother." She paused, looking back at him. He gave her a small nod.

    Viviane returned to his side and knelt. She took his hand and pressed her cheek to his knuckles. Wynter swallowed hard, counting as he drew in deep breaths. Guilty and shameful thoughts dug into his mind, but he didn't pull away from Viviane. She held his hand to her cheek a moment longer, then touched a light kiss to his fingers.

    "Happy birthday, my darling," she murmured. Viviane released him and left the room swiftly, but not before Wynter saw the glimmer of tears on her cheeks. When her footsteps faded, he let himself think over her words.

❅•~❅~•❅

    Elodie sat in her room, working on a letter for Wynter. She didn't expect him to invite her inside again, although she hoped he would. She would continue to write him letters, just in case. Elodie set her pen aside as she finished the letter. She pulled her chair out from beneath the desk and moved it over to a corner of her room.

    Dozens of periwinkles were tied together and hanging upside down from hooks in the ceiling. She stepped onto the chair and took one bundle down, checking the dryness of the petals. Elodie smiled and hopped off the chair, then grimaced as the movement jarred her healing back.

    She returned to her desk with the flowers and chair, moving slowly. The wounds on her back were all closed, but she was still bruised and sore. Elodie knew she would be for quite some time. She'd be lucky if her back healed entirely before Ebner chose to give her another punishment.

    Her punishments now were minor inconveniences compared to the beating. She wasn't allowed to go out with the children anymore. Her bedroom door was locked at night. She had lost the right to use her cloak, which she wore almost all the time, even while inside. And, she wasn't going to be paid for the next three weeks.

    Elodie wasn't bothered by the last part. Ebner hardly paid her at all anyway. Three weeks of pay wouldn't amount to more than ten silver pieces, which she would've been required to spend on necessities for herself or treats for the children.

    Her locked door and inability to go outside were what bothered her. Elodie hated being trapped inside her uncle's gloomy, stifling house. She was already working on a plan to escape. She wasn't going to stop seeing Wynter, and she wasn't going to remain a prisoner. She would enact her plan tonight. With any luck, she'd have a few hours of freedom.

    She stiffened, hearing footsteps beyond her bedroom door. The lock clicked and the door swung open, revealing Ebner. He crossed his arms, eyeing her coldly. "We are going out for dinner this evening. You will remain here. I'm afraid you won't be receiving anything to eat. I'm taking your bedroom key with me, so Anya won't be able to bring you anything."

    Before Elodie could reply, the door slammed shut and she was locked in again. Elodie gritted her teeth angrily. She strode to her window. Snow pattered against it. The night would be cold. She had to find something to use instead of her cloak. Several minutes passed before Ebner, Amoriel, and the children left the house and climbed into an enclosed sledge. They rode away, leaving Elodie on her own.

    She tucked her letter and bouquet of dried flowers into a satchel, then grabbed a blanket off her bed. It was thin, but better than nothing. Elodie knotted it around her neck and pried her window open. Wind whipped against her cheeks and snowflakes clung to her eyelashes. She crawled out the window and onto the lattice. Elodie left the window slightly cracked so she'd be able to get back inside.

    She climbed down the lattice and jumped onto the street. Elodie pulled the blanket over her head and hurried off towards Wynter's townhouse. She couldn't keep herself from shivering as she walked. Her thin blanket was doing very little to keep the snow off her skin.

    Elodie sprinted past the taverns and carried on. She was utterly frozen by the time she reached the townhouse. The guards let her pass and she reached the front doors. "Halt," the new guard ordered. "No one is allowed..."

    "It's all right, Alastair," Cyrus interrupted. "This is Elodie. She comes by quite often."

    Elodie smiled at the new guard. She guessed he was Lev's replacement. Alastair dipped his pale head to Elodie and resumed his stoic watch. Cyrus beckoned Elodie over. She joined him, suppressing a shiver.

    "I'm sorry I wasn't here during your struggle with Lev," he sighed.

    "It's all right. It wasn't your fault."

    "Wynter told Lettie and I that he let you come inside. I'm sorry for the circumstances preceding that, but I'm glad Wynter let you come in. He seemed a little happier when he talked about it." Cyrus' blue eyes narrowed. "And I'm glad you came today. Yesterday was a particularly rough day for him. I don't want to say too much, but..."

    He sighed, scratching his dark head as he thought. "You don't have to tell me anything," Elodie said. "I'm glad you respect Wynter's privacy." She moved her blanket aside and lifted her satchel. "I brought him something. I know today is his birthday, and..."

    Elodie trailed off as the door opened. Cyrus looked back in surprise. Only Alastair remained unmoved. Wynter appeared, looking tired and distressed. His gaze swept over her and she felt it linger on the blanket she wore instead of a cape.

    "You can come in," Wynter murmured. He held the door open wider. Elodie glanced at Cyrus, who gave her an encouraging nod. She smiled brightly and entered the house. Wynter closed the door behind her.

❅•~❅~•❅

For bonus content from this chapter, please see the part also titled "A Mother's Plea" in my book "Beyond the Books".