Tying Off Loose Ends

I woke up grinning.

Today was the last race of the season, and all I had to do was win this for Ferrari to win the championship.

Well, technically, we had already done the championship. Today's race would only cement that.

I jumped out of bed and rushed around to get ready. Charles was already up, and he was bustling around too.

"Hey, love." I smiled, walking out of the bathroom.

"Mon amour. Sleep well?"

"Yes."

"That's good. Can I get a kiss?"

"Wouldn't you steal one even if I said 'no'?"

"Of course I would."

I laughed as I bent forward and kissed him.

"Happy?"

"No. I want one more." He pouted.

"Fine." I kissed him again.

"Enough, now. Or you'll get tired of kissing me."

Charles smirked.

"I can never get tired of kissing you."

I grabbed my bags and pulled my shoes on, with Charles mimicking me.

"Come on! We have to go now!" I said.

"Geez, okay!" He wrapped his arm around my waist and pulled me along.

Then, we closed the door.

"Charles, we left the room keys inside the room."

~~~~~~

The countdown to the last race passed quickly, and soon, Charles was kissing me good luck and Kymara was strapping me in.

"Radio check. I repeat, radio check."

"Oh, you're loud and clear, Kymara."

"Good to know, champ. See you on the top step on the podium."

"Overconfidence in me, much?" I asked her.

"Ha ha. You wish. Unfortunately, you're either on the top step of the podium, or in a hospital with burns."

I rolled my eyes even though she couldn't see me.

"I'm not that, what's the word for it... Winny?"

"The word for it is good, and she's right Kim. You're invincible. Shut up and be arrogant for once." Mattia said joining in.

"But-"

"That's an order!"

"Oooh! He pulled the order card on you, sweetie." Kymara said.

"Everyone's always pulling cards on me. Why can't they just pick them out of the deck for once?"

"I dunno. Hey, by the way, I think the race is starting. Stop talking now."

She was right.

I took a deep breath, just as the lights began to come on. The tyres were nice and warm, and the engine was buzzing with activity.

Time to win this thing.

~~~~~~

I jumped out of my car to the sound of confetti cannons and noisy fans.

I had won it! The Driver's Championship, and the Constructor's Championship now belonged to us.

My teammates lifted me onto their shoulders and the cheering got louder.

"FORZA FERRARI!" I shouted.

Then, they set me down, and the trophy was presented to me.

I raised it, grinning and the cheering got impossibly louder.

Everyone was was elated. I was too! It had been a long, hard season. But lifting this trophy made it all worth it. My teammates surrounded me and together, we lifted the Constructor's trophy up, chanting 'Ferrari' as we did so.

A huge round of applause broke out from all the fans. Even the other teams' fans clapped for us.

Eventually, the noise died down, and the fans began to leave. But for those of us at Ferrari, the night had only just begun.

~~~~~~

I checked my black dress in the mirror one last time, double che- oh, who am I kidding?

I had obsessing over this dress ever since I put it on.

I sighed.

"Are you still glaring at your reflection, love?" Charles asked from behind me.

"No..." I tried.

"Oh, please. You look beautiful, you know that, right? I can't keep my eyes off you."

I blushed.

"You can never keep your eyes off me."

"Yeah, that's because you're beautiful all the time."

"You're too sweet, Charles."

"I know." He kissed my cheek.

I sighed again.

"This outfit looks incomplete!" I groaned.

"Yeah, I was thinking that as well- hey, wait! I know what it's missing!"

Charles hurried to his suitcase and took out a blue and silver box.

"Here you go." He handed the intricately designed box to me.

I frowned, and took it from him, carefully opening it.

My jaw dropped.

"You kept it?!" I asked, staring at my old white 'peace' pendant.

"Yep." Charles scratched his neck. "And I know I had absolutely no right to, but your grand-dad he took the charm of it, and he told me to do something special to it... I'm so sorry. I know how much this means to you, but I thought the gems would be a nice touch, and-"

I kissed him.

"Thank you so much." I squealed admiring the purple and blue stones that had been set into the white pendant.

"This looks BEAUTIFUL, Charles! Thank you so much!" I kissed him on his cheek again.

A relieved look took over his face.

"I'm so glad you like it. Can I...?" He asked, gesturing to the necklace.

I nodded, and turned.

He gently lifted the necklace out of the box and clasped it around my neck.

I turned to face him.

"How does it look now?" I asked him.

"Parfait. Tu es magnifique!"

I blushed, understanding what he meant.

"Now, my lady, can I have the pleasure of being your date, tonight?" He asked, offering me his hand.

"Oui, monsieur." Charles eyes widened.

"You learnt how to speak French?"

I smiled.

"For you. I was tired of living in the dark when ever you spoke the language."

"You're c-"

"Crazy, I know!"

I was actually going to say completely amazing, but I guess that works, too."

I laughed.

"You look so pretty when you laugh." He kissed me. "I love you."

I smiled.

"I love you too, Charles."

He smiled back at me, and this time, I picked up the keys before we left for the party downstairs.