Apologies and Wallets

After a long hug, I pulled away from Addie, drying her tears with my thumb.

"Are you okay?"

She smiled confidently.

"Of course I am. What about you?"

"I'm fine. Though I'm really sorry you and Lando missed out on your date."

She smacked me gently.

"What are you apologising for? That was actually my fault."

We laughed.

Then we heard a knock on the door.

"Oh the boys!" Addie's eyes widened.

"Come in, you guys!" I shouted, wincing, not only because of my throat, but because of how loud I had shouted.

The door opened and Lando and Charles walked in cautiously.

Charles was holding a glass of water in one hand, and a plate in the other.

"Hey. How are you? Made up with Addie?" Charles asked, with a smile on his face.

I smiled back.

"I'm fine, and yes I did make up with Addie!"

"That's great. These are for you by the way."

He handed me the glass of water and the plate. Turns out the plate had pancakes in them.

I accepted both gratefully, gulping the down the water and wolfing the pancakes down.

It was only when I finished the last bite, that I realised.

"Pancakes? What time is it?"

Charles, Addie and Lando looked at me sheepishly.

"8 o'clock?" Lando said.

"That sounded like a question."

"No, it actually is 8 o'clock."

"Wait, what?! We have to get to work!" I scrambled to get up, finally on my feet when Lando and Addie grabbed my shoulders and pushed me back on to the bed.

"Sorry, no. You've been out cold for more than six and a half hours. You are getting some rest. Charles and I will talk to Mattia, but you are not leaving this house." Addie said.

"But..."

"No, Kim. Addie is right, you know. We'll come and visit you after work, but please take some rest?"

"I... Fine." Charles and Addie had just agreed on something, I think that was my cue to back off and listen to them.

"Thank you." Charles said.

"Now, where can I find some clothes for work? I don't think I can go like this." Addie asked.

I directed her to the closet, let her pick whatever she wanted, and then left to join the boys so she could change.

Outside, Charles and Lando seemed to be discussing something serious. So, I did what I do best. I interrupted them.

"What are you guys talking about?"

My response was, "Nothing!" From Charles and, "You!" From Lando.

I narrowed my eyes at them, and Lando launched into an explanation.

"We were just worried about you. You just ran away really quickly, and Addie refused to tell us why."

"I know. I'm sorry, but it's just not something I want to talk about right now."

Lando nodded understandingly.

"That's okay."

I turned to Charles. Still confused about one small thing.

"What were you doing here though? I mean I'm not complaining, but I don't remember telling you where I lived."

"Oh yeah! About that, see you left your wallet at the snack bar, and I picked it up without thinking, I just came to return it." Charles stood up and dug into his back pocket pulling out my wallet. "Here you go. Sorry, I went through it. I was trying to find your address."

"Oh that's okay. Thank you though, I didn't even realised I had left it there. Also, I'm sorry about all this drama. I'm sure you didn't come here to play my knight in shining armour."

Charles laughed.

"No, it was an unexpected occurence. You're very light, though."

I looked at him, laughing. "Is that a compliment?"

"Sure, okay!" He replied, sending all three of us into a fit of laughter.

"What are you guys laughing at?" Addie asked, walking out of my closet.

"Oh, nothing. Also, you look very nice." Lando replied blushing.

Addie looked down, suddenly bashful.

An awkward, suffocating silence blanketed the room, and I had to save them.

"Shouldn't you guys be leaving now?" I asked them.

Charles caught on immediately.

"Oh yeah! That's right! Ready to leave, Addie?"

"Uh sure! Let's go."

"Cool." The three of them for up and walked out, with me following them.

I trailed them right till the doorway. Where Addie and Charles insisted I go no further.

Oh well...

"Bye, Kim! See you after work!" Addie shouted waving at me.

I grinned at her.

"See ya!"

I waved at Charles and Lando as well, feeling strangely empty as I watched their cars pull out of the drive way.

I couldn't wait for them to come back. But for now, I had to survive my 'day of rest'