A Dance in the Sky

After a 3 hour movie (AKA Hobbit), we played some games, got to know each other better and finally started getting ready for bed.

The sleeping arrangement was me on the floor and Addie and Charles on the bed.

Mainly, because I didn't sleep, and it wasn't fair that one of them had to sleep uncomfortably while my place wasn't being used.

So, I convinced them to sleep up.

~~~~~~

Ten minutes after Charles and Addie went to bed, I took the biggest risk I had taken in a while.

I clutched my necklace, and cast a suppressor on it.

Now, the magic was weak enough to let me sleep and strong enough to keep away the nightmares, or so I thought.

I began nodding off just a few seconds after I cast the suppressor, and a minute later I was fast asleep.

For twenty minutes I slept soundly, with no dreams or nightmares, until I lost control.

The supressing charm became stronger and the nightmares came back.

More powerful than ever.

Mentally, I screamed and thrashed trying to break free.

I didn't want to re-live this. I didn't want to watch them die again.

I kept thrashing, screaming, struggling for control. But, it wouldn't stop.

If anything, it got worse.

Pain overwhelmed every sense of mine, and finally I was able to jerk myself awake.

The room was still dark, and Addie and Charles were still fast asleep.

Tears flowed freely down my cheeks and my whole body burned.

I had to get out of here.

~~~~~~

I climbed the last step and pushed open the door to my terrace.

The cool night air blew across my skin, briefly relieving the burning. Slowly, my tears began to dry and I felt infinitely better.

The terrace was always a safe place for me. And when Papa was alive, we'd come here all the time to get away from my nightmares.

Old memories of all the times we had spent the night here, flashed through my head.

I smiled sadly.

Walking to the edge of the terrace, I sat down.

This was a special part of the terrace. It was a gentle slope with the best view available.

I pulled my knees up to my chest (my favourite position when I was hurting or scared), and closed my eyes.

I relaxed as much as I could, and concentrated. It was an old trick Papa had taught me how to do, to cheer me up after the nightmares.

In my head, figures lit up and waited to be projected into the sky.

But, just as I was going to do so, I was interrupted.

"There you are. I was looking everywhere for you! I thought you'd run away again."

Charles.

Slowly I opened my eyes and turned.

I smiled weakly at him.

"What are you still doing up? Shouldn't you be asleep?"

Charles' eyes darkened.

"I couldn't sleep. There's too much on my mind. What about you? You too should be asleep."

"No. I don't sleep. I can't. I have nightmares."

I frowned, not sure why I told him that.

"Want to join me?" I asked.

"Sure."

"So, what's on your mind? Want to talk about it?"

His eyes narrowed in thought.

"Yes, actually."

"Okay, shoot then!"

"So, it's my girlfriend. Things are going badly between us. She comes home very late everyday, and she always seems to be drunk. I feel so bad about it, you know? Maybe it's because of me? She doesn't talk to me like she used to, she seems closed off now. Any conversations I try to have with her end in yelling matches. Things are thrown, bruises are given. I don't know what to do. She doesn't want to talk to me. And it hurts because, I thought she was the one. She was the sweetest thing in the world. I was so in love with her..."

Charles trailed off.

The sorrow and pain in his voice tugged very hard at my heart. Until I realised something.

"You said you were so in love with her." I said softly. "If sparks don't fly anymore, why do you hang around?"

"Because, I don't want to see her get hurt. I want to see if I can help her. I just wish she'd tell me what's wrong."

I stayed silent, not sure what to say.

"You don't have to say anything, you know. You listening to me is enough." Charles said, like he read my mind.

We stayed silent for a moment longer.

"Can I ask you something?" He asked.

I nodded, not meeting his eyes.

"Why did you run away yesterday?"

I thought for a moment more, before I told him the whole story. Leaving nothing out.

For a whole minute after that, he sat in stunned silence.

"So, you have super powers?" He asked finally.

I nodded silently.

"That is so cool..." He whispered.

I smiled sadly.

"Believe me, it's not."

"That can't be true. Everything has a bright side. I'm sure your powers have something good about them as well."

I thought for a moment.

Then it struck me. Charles was right! There was a bright side to my powers!

My face lit up, happiness swelling inside me.

I turned to Charles and gave him a big hug.

"Thank you." I said softly.

I could feel him smile.

I pulled away and studied his face.

Sadness and pain were all I could see in his glassy eyes.

Gently, I placed a hand on his cheek, guiding his face up to look at me.

"Hey, can I show you something?"

A short flash of curiosity shot through his eyes.

And I took that as my cue to continue.

My hand dropped from his face, and I closed my eyes, concentrating.

The figures lit up in my head again. This time shaped like a boy and girl.

When I was ready, I projected them into the sky.

And judging from the sharp intake of air beside me, it had worked.

I opened my eyes, just in time to see the figures rise into the sky, twirling around each other.

Charles reached for my hand and I leaned my head on his shoulder, and we stayed like that all night, till the sun rose, watching the dance in the sky.